🍋 Raindrops Prologue

Synopsis: People who met once, will meet again.

The night is early and the streets have that certain glow when it had just been washed by the gentle rain. Staring outside the car window, Chenle seemed mesmerized by the splashes of color on the puddles until they finally came to a smooth halt.

"I'll call you when I'm done. I might be here for quite a while," he spoke to his driver when the man opened the door for him.

Stepping on the concrete walkway, he fixed his coat and took his invitation card from his pocket. He started his walk up the staircase when a wrinkle sat on top of his brows contemplating how to go on about his complicated evening.

This is the year that he inherited the company from his father and all the responsibilities has now fallen on his shoulders, this includes supporting the artist that's having tonight's solo exhibition. But the thing is, the gentleman is someone whom he both wishes to see and hide from. Taking a deep breath he cast an eye over the amply crowded room filled with fellow patrons and media critics enthusiastic about the private viewing.

After quickly scanning his card at the entrance, he decisively chose an inconspicuous spot to calm himself while several people started to gather near the center where a raised platform was prepared for the artist to stand upon.

Park Jisung, the man of the evening smiled as he addressed the audience and the smaller that stood there was spellbound. "How could someone be so handsome, so- so" -he couldn't continue his thoughts when nostalgia completely engulfed him. Breathless, he took slow steps to blend with the group of people that passed by, hoping that it's enough to conceal his presence.

"Thank you to" -the younger shortly paused catching a glimpse of the guy that's desperately trying not to look at him. His eyes narrowed at this but he continued as if nothing had happened. After the short introduction, the guests began to scatter, taking their time to observe each painting that caught their attention.

———

Chenle turned to a corner where his eyes were quickly enthraled by the short description on the wall. The gray letters were written in a simple typeface and large enough to almost cover half of his face.

The sweet words wrote,
"You are volatile,
Fleeting,
While I'm the table you've spilled on.
And when you're gone,
I remain there standing still,
Waiting for the rain to come again."

The entire wall to the left of the poem were composed of three large paintings that were different from Jisung's usual style which is often romantic with boundless symbolism that seemingly feel like moving photographs. The artist used to think of them as the cause of his weakness, a bane to his art, because unlike their bold counterparts, they were of melancholic pensiveness. However, today, these three are one of his most popular works.

While Chenle's gaze deepened on the soft brush strokes, he realized for the first time why all three were titled "Raindrops". This plunged a sharp knife to his chest and Jisung's words a long time ago echoed inside his head. Clasping his shirt, he wrung his chest that's constricting his lungs. Struggling to breathe, he took a few steps back. This was a bad decision because within this distance the paintings appeared to tower over him.

"Are you ok?"
A voice to the side queried despite being ignored by the guy.

———

(Flashback)

"Are you ok?"
Jisung asked when he noticed the pout on the older's face as he took a seat on the floor. They are still wearing their high school uniform from the graduation ceremony and are sitting side by side in the living room of his old traditional house, both staring outside as it started to drizzle.

'Nothing," the smaller murmured.

This made the taller chuckle, "You're like the rain Chenle. Your mood can be gentle, moderate or even a storm. Unannounced, unpredictable and unexpected too."

"What's that supposed to mean?" the boy huffed shifting from a frown to a glare.

Scooting closer, Jisung ruffled Chenle's hair, "I did not say it's bad. I like the rain."

Raising his eyebrows in surprise, the older flickered his eyelids upward and their eyes met. His heartbeat drowned out the rain that's now falling harder, they're like drums that's anticipating the moment while he reluctantly moved closer, tilting his head. Closing his eyes he slowly pressed their lips, his hands turning into fists.

Jisung was awestricken at this and when the softness left his lips, all he wanted was to take them in his again.
"Chenle", He whispered.
"One more."

Relief swept over the smaller now that he knew that the younger liked it too. Giggling, Chenle threw his arms around his neck and heeded the request gladly. Their kiss was so sweet, gentle and everything he ever wanted.
"Jisung?" he spoke quietly, their breath still hovering over each other.
He then gave the taller a peck before adding, "To me you're like wood, strong and constant."
"Look at that table outside. Whether the rain pours calmly or unrestrainedly it stays still. No matter how easily I change my mind, you're always here."

———

(Back to present)

"Are you ok?" the woman repeated.

Blinking, Chenle knew that he's already tearing up. He swiftly looked away and nodded.

"I'm fine," he mumbled while taking his leave.