Chapter 28

Effie woke breathing heavily as she looked around her trying to work out where she was. She held the covers tight to her chest as she sat up. Ace was sat next to her with his head in his hands and suddenly looked up at her, "Effie, how you feeling?" he asked softly.

Effie's eyes looked frightened as she tried to gather her thoughts, confused at how she ended up back in their room. "What time is it? How did I get here?" she asked flicking her eyes around the room.

"You've been out cold all night. I was so worried. I have been trying to call Nyx but there is no answer. You said you saw him last night?"

Effie nodded, remembering the vision of him clearly.

"I checked the passenger list Effie and he wasn't on there. Nyx isn't here."

Effie felt her skin crawl as fear etched across her face, "but I saw him. He was up on the deck; I'm not making it up!" she replied adamantly.

Ace stood up, "I'm not saying you are I just don't get how you saw him! When I left you after I gave you that bracelet I went to try and speak to him, he is the only one that knows what the fuck is going on, but I couldn't reach him. The electric store hasn't seen him for days and Hayley hasn't seen him since we were at Sevens the other night."

Effie felt a lump form in her throat as panic set in.

"What happened when you 'saw' him?" Ace asked, making a little sign with his fingers as he said the word 'saw'.

Effie ripped the covers off her and pushed past him, "why do that? I'm not making it up!" she said angrily. She walked over to the wardrobe and grabbed some clothes out. She whipped her head round to face him, "can I have some privacy please so I can get changed?"

Ace smirked, "privacy? Seriously? I've seen your body naked many times. Don't get so precious about it now."

Effie grabbed her clothes and pushed past him towards the bathroom, locking the door behind her. She quickly stripped her pyjamas off and threw on her knickers, bra, a strappy top and shorts. She opened the door as he grabbed her wrist, "are you fucking serious right now?" he said, his body simmering with anger.

She pierced her eyes at him and snapped her arm away from him, throwing her pyjamas on the bed. "You said you fucked Paris last night you spiteful piece of shit!"

She walked to the door of their cabin and opened it as Ace followed. "No, Effie, wait, just hear me out..."

She turned around, her eyes filled with frustration, "what?" she snapped, "you think we can just carry on like normal? You will never change, you will always be the same arrogant, selfish man."

Ace grabbed her, "no, you don't get to cry, you said you kissed one of those guys. I whisked you away and you go and do that the first chance you get. I'm the one that should be mad, not you!"

She snatched her hand away, "you're a fucking liar. Leave me alone!"

She started walking off, shaking her head. 

"EFFIE!" he shouted, not caring how early it was and ran after her.

She turned around at the end of the corridor as he caught up to her, "WHAT?" she yelled. "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Her eyes had started to fill with tears as she pushed him, starting to gain the attention of some people who were early risers.

He looked at her, "get your ass back inside that room before I throw you over my shoulder and take you back there myself. It's too dangerous for you to be wondering around the ship on your own."

Effie pursed her lips at him, staring at him icily as he grabbed her arm, "no!" She went to punch him but he grabbed her fist in his hands, looking at her sternly.