chapter 4

Lord St. James was participating in a fencing duel, although that is not something he consider doing on his off time it either had to be that or going to the required meeting with Lord Duke Hamilton and the daughter he's betrothed to is something the earl rather want avoid. He knew this day was coming and late has it been, it was never out of question.

He always knew he would marry one of those high mannered ladies in the society, they all looked, talked alike.  it had its perks to not have to participate in every ballroom when your already betrothed not that it kept women away from him. It is not like his life will change being married it never did for a man after all, but deep down somewhere in the pits of Nicholas stomach he felt out of place, for once in his life he felt that his life is determined, marrying was the last wish from his dead father.

''You never fail to amaze me'' A hand gripping the earls shoulder breaking his thoughts off. Lord Clifford  knew his father and was a highly trusted one who now works for his son who took the title, he taught him from the scratch when he took over being the twelfth Earl of Carnarvon at an early age of twenty-four and five years later today, he Is remarkably better in every way.

Lord Clifford is like the uncle Nicholas never had so he is always grateful, ''I learned from the best,'' The earl replied and stopped when he was drenched in sweat and won over his opponent, he excused himself with a towel dangling around his shoulder as Lord Clifford approached him, ''I sense there is something bothering you Lord, does your muscles ache I can shout in for---'' Nicholas shook his head lightly, ''You must teach me one day how you do that'' the earl felt once again freaked out that Lord Clifford can read him so well.

Matter of fact Lord Clifford is the only person who can read the earls moods, it is not every day something bothers him. And it should not be this way, an earl needs to face every obstacle even If changes is not his favorite word, ''Do tell the footman to make sure the carriage is here in fifteen'' Nicholas told Clifford who nodded  but the earl did not miss the amusement glimmering in his eyes,

"I would appreciate if you spit out your thoughts Lord Clifford'' the earl commented causing Clifford to huff out with laughter, ''If I dare to say I must admit that I am quite happy the marriage will take place, you no longer have to stand alone you have someone you can count on'' Lord Clifford finished with a fatherly smile lingering on his face,

Nicholas knew how Clifford never spoke of his wife often but when he did there was always happiness and admiration that made him feel like marriage could bring not only financial benefits but happiness to the table. And that was not something he witnessed with his parents so to believe in it felt foreign .

When the earl realized he have not answered but instead was deep with his own thoughts he only nodded curtly at Clifford, ''Indeed I believe that is beneficial'' and with that Lord Clifford went to fetch the carriage.  Nicholas changed his attire making sure to look as presentable as possible, he took a lot time in that. When he came face with his reflection standing tall 6 feet with broad shoulders and an appearance that was rather striking and imitating, as he fixed his tie the door knocked, ''My lord the carriage is ready''

It was time he told himself, the earl was neither displeased but pleased after hearing nothing about the woman he's betrothed to and knowing the gossip that could go on like running water was not something he wanted to listen at.

Not a picture, nothing but a name that stood about the woman he is betrothed to, It was rather good not knowing her. It did not matter whatever his father planned Nicholas could never question and will always do it.

The carriage took off towards the town of Stonehenge after being or more likely escaping from the public eye at an empty place at the edge of Stonehenge he knew it is high time to meet the woman, he mentally pictured how she would pick up her tea with her little finger poking out perfectly and greeting with a curtsey at exactly 15 degree and carry a smile that will make her face paralyzed, as a supposed English lady.