chapter 14

''You shall not be worried'' Philips told the earl which did not cease his thoughts, two days! 48 hours and Rose have not woken. He almost lost it, those days he could not focus on anything and was beside her every second scared to leave her sight and leave the control.

Philips and a few other guests came thinking the matrimony will take place which it should've today if it weren't for the accident that occurred, Nicholas was drinking way to much than he shall. But he couldn't be alone with his thoughts that turned dark and hopeless.

''Have you informed her family?'' Philips asked watching his employer for the first time in a painful moment, he never thought witnessing the earl like this and it did not bring the teasing out of him, it was quite a depression that almost consumed him as well, ''I have'' was the short reply before the earl gulped down the brandy.

He gathered every information about concussion in the brain and it did not make him hopeful in fact it made him in more bewilderment. All he wanted was to see her eyes and hear that witty mouth. The only sign that she was alive was her breathing and pulse, the doctors checked her heart frequently nothing was out of place, why hasn't she waken up. The earl was feeling impatient.

''One shall never witness you like this, I will pray for the mercy on your wife'' Philips jokingly said and the earl would've laugh if a laughter never felt like taking all of his energy that he did not have, if only he had the time to stop that blasted woman!  ''Have you ever felt like wanting to just rewind the time?'' Nicholas asked

Philips shook his head as Nicholas continued, ''You shall not want to feel it, its hell''

The fact that he could've made sure Starlight was never there when it is his horse made the earl boil, the fact that he should've followed her and show her around the place made him mad, the fact that he as her husband was the person who should've let no harm came her way just did.

Their conversation came to an end when the door jerked, ''Where's my daughter? What happened?'' Duke Hamilton looked like the blood drained from his face as he breathed in and out deeply

The earl gathered his sanity that it all is real, ''Lord Hamilton, follow me'' was all Nicholas could find himself saying

The duke followed eagerly after the earl, ''Nicholas what happened to my daughter? I received your letter''

''Your daughter—My horse starlight I should've never let him—Rose she'' The earl had never In his life had this hard to complete a sentence, he felt like every word was surreal and only a nightmare that haunted him this past days.

The duke suddenly held his shoulder, he stood tall as well ''Breath my son, I know this is not easy for you but let me see my daughter'' The earl did not know where he should've been more shocked at, the fact that he called him son instead of punching him for letting his daughter come to harm. The earl did not feel like he deserved any kindness, they walked into his bedchamber where she laid soundless in his bed.

His maids did a curtsey before leaving the room to the duke and the earl, ''My daughter..'' The duke chocked out as he watched his daughter pale face, Nicholas felt his gut tighten like breath could not pass to his lungs, ''What happened---'' The duke mumbled as he caressed his daughter hair

''The doctor says she has concussion in the brain''

  ''You mean to tell me her brain...'' the duke could not imagine saying it but the earl knew what he meant and though it crossed his mind he shook his head, ''No that side of her brain will not cause memory loss''

The earl could not bare thinking she would forget everything, she shall remember him and if she never did, he will make sure of it.

The duke nodded blankly, ''I am grateful, my daughter always was impulsive and adventoures like her mother.. It was a matter of time before---'' The earl shook his head cutting him off, ''No. I could've inform her about the stallion, I could've been there to prevent it—I should've'' Nicholas couldn't finish the sentence as he grabbed her cold fingers to his lips and kissed, ''I should've been there'' He continued breathily.

They watched rose in silence with own thoughts that consumed them until the duke spoke, ''I- She was very angry with me before she left Stonehenge, I shall never forgive myself if this is my last moment with my daughter''

And it shall not be her last moment whatsoever thought the earl before he asked, ''Angry? Why was she angry''

The duke rubbed his face, ''The agreement and being married In general, she never wanted that for her and I just thought she would've grow out of it''

She never wanted to marry was the thought of marrying so bad for her?. Was the thought of marrying him that awful? He never took her opinions for consideration, he never listened. Nicholas closed his eyes feeling angry at himself, he tossed her around like a baggage and she left her hometown. It is never easy he ought of everybody should've known that

What did he expect? That she would be so happy? , ''Tell me more'' The earl muttered watching his wife.. his wife that should be in matrimony today.

''About what?''

''Anything about her.. what is her favourite colour.. her interests,'' Nicholas answered wanting to know everything, but he knew he had to ask her the most.

The duke watched Nicholas curiously... he undoubtedly cared for his daughter but something more was in the picture, ''Rose is allergic to strawberries though that never stopped her to eat them, she loves all animals and wants to visit every place on earth— '' the duke stopped only to shake his head and for the first time in so long Nicholas found himself chuckling through the pain, ''That do sound like her''

''More tell me more'' The earl couldn't get enough of the wicked stories that the duke told about Rose's childhood. Their conversation was cut off when the door open and a maid apologetically said, ''My lord I tried stopping them---'' Her words were cut off when a pair of woman stormed in

Four women in total entered like they found their pray and if glares could kill the earl would've been six feet underground.

''Bloody hell!'' Celeste was the first one who gathered her shock as she strided towards Rose completely disregarding the earl, ''Lord Hamilton'' she barely greeted the duke.

Nicholas stood up as all the woman gathered besides the bed, ''You promised,'' He could hear their faint voices. The earl was glad Rose had companions that cared about her, ''Its her hometown friends, you shall pray for mercy'' The duke told making Nicholas nod blankly

He deserves every wrath and the first came when Celeste threw him a glare, ''Do you have a word to say on this? So much for a husband to care for his wife'' She snickered and even though Nicholas felt an emotion that was beyond care for Rose he did not inform her, ''I am at every fault my ladies, I indeed did not do my husband rights'' Nicholas told as the women narrowed their eyes on him trying to find a fault in his words and him.

One by one he saw the hateful look they all shared, it made him wonder who this woman truly were and what kind of friendship they shared with his wife, ''My dear friend is hospitalized when she shall be married today! What tells that of you do you think!'' A red head continued with a snarl and they all waited for the earl to answer, ''It tells a lot about me and though I don't deny your words I want you to know I never imagined today would turn out this way'' Nicholas said in nothing more than honesty that even the ladies could feel but did not want to believe this tall broad devil man was sincere.

''Rather hard to believe'' snapped Celeste

Before they could say anything a very quiet faint voice said, ''don't put the blame on him.. I was at fault—'' Nicholas could recognize that voice from miles and he immediately stride towards the body that was covered by the ladies, ''Rose'' he breathed like he needed a pinch to believe this surreal moment

Her eyes opened and her lips formed into a light smile before she quietly mumbled, ''Who else?''