chapter 22

Nicholas came back with Philip after a successful meeting with high ranked businessman, although they came two days before the two weeks Nicholas felt like it was ages.

''Eager to get back to your wife?'' Philip snickered and Nicholas was tired of hiding it, he was tired of fighting it, he could not stand to be away from her, she was starting to become an obsession for him.

Hell he had hard time sleeping without her, ''Yes very much'' Nicholas answered back ready to part ways with his employee as he entered the carriage that waited for him.

Nicholas watched the time and he was thankful it is not yet dawn, he covered his mouth with a smile remembering the dream he had. He made love to her again and again as a sudden image came of her running by the fields, the wind blowing through her long hair.

his lips curving up in a smile as he held the necklace that he bought in a store in Manchester a present for her.  the carriage came to a halt in front of his front porch.

Nicholas get off eagerly not wasting any time as he walked into his home that was yet again awfully quiet, one could think someone committed a murder here.

The kids was in school no doubt but where was his little minx?, ''Rose! Rose'' he started calling as he walked through the halls never experiencing how annoyingly large the house was.

She must be outside in the garden he told himself and he was just about to inspect it when he caught the look of the maids in the kitchen, they were all startled to see him, ''My lord you came early'' Rita did not greet him as usual, she looked rather distressed, ''I did'' Nicholas replied shortly before adding, ''Where is Rose? Is she out—did anyone accompany her,'' he stopped as Rita gestured him to follow her, she walked further into the halls before she reached his bedchamber.

Rita pulled the letter out thinking it would be best to leave it in their room.

Nicholas wondered how asking of his wife could lead to a paper in his hands, ''I think it is best if I give you privacy'' was all Rita said before she walked out of the room

The earl opened the letter in confusion before he sat down on the edge of the bed, as his eyes scanned the words his heart freeze

Dear Nicholas

I had never thought that I would ever be in this place that I am, when I'm writing you this I am not with you, that must gather why you are reading this if even you searched for me. I am a liar with secrets that I did not have the courage to tell, you must feel like I'm writing nonsense and you must believe me when I say I loved every second with you for the past few weeks. You were not what I imagined and couldn't admit it. But how much that fact was true It meant going against everything.

My morals and my vows, you told me betrayal and secrets were the few things you could not stand. And for me that is not having my freedom,

Freedom to go where I want, freedom to choose you. I did not have that , you did not have that.  we were married only in an agreement. I am not the wife for you, I would drive you mad and our character will crash one day , I know this seems like I did this the second you left but it was far before that... far before you. But freedom is my happiness, and I hope you one day find yours.

Once again, I am sorry

Rose Hamilton

Nicholas felt his fist turn white, he had never in his life read something like this. She ran away from him, she left him. He could not understand that fact, what in the world did he do wrong?

He rubbed his face in frustration, she must be playing a joke on him. For bloody sake she can't be serious! At that moment Nicholas felt cold, out of emotion. Like the world must hate him, out of everything he lost the one woman he loved, and what a fool he would feel like to tell her that. He clenched his jaw and tore the paper In pieces.

There's no way in hell she would leave him this easily

That woman did not even leave that to thought before she left that, how infuriating she is.

Nicholas wanted to do anything to drown this suffocating feeling, he wanted to kill it. It was unbearable, suddenly the door opened and Rita entered, Nicholas told in a dangerous yet calm tone, ''Where did she go?''

Rita's big brown eyes widened, ''I swear I don't know my lord, she was crying and told me to deliver this letter''

Knowing that he could not throw a wrath at a woman that could basically be his mother he nodded stiffly, ''I don't have any time for this, I have work that needs to be taken care off''

Rita glanced at him softly, ''My lord I have known your whole life, you don't like showing your emotions but please do not shut yourself out I believe Rose had her reasons'' 

Nicholas thoughts wondered off if she had a lover, where she lying with that? It did say she was a lair in the letter, but she could've not responded to their love making that way, she could've not kissed him that way, she could've not be with him that way, she could've not looked at him that way. ''If you'll excuse me'' he walked out of the bedchamber not standing a second at the room, ''I want you to change the sheets and the whole room'' he said coldly over his shoulder, hoping to erase any trace of her before heading towards his study.

So much for coming back earlier

Shots after shots of brandy the alcohol did not seem to hit him easily, ''You cold bloody wench'' he cursed before gulping down the strong liquor, anger came like a bolting light with jealousy imagining her running off with another, ''Over my dead body'' he muttered under his breath.

She was his and his only.