Chapter 3

''My young one, close the door, will you?'' Her father asked while sitting with his piles of work, Rose always wondered how he can sit in a chair all day just the thought frightens her, she slumped down in one of his comfortable chairs, ''Hello Father, working with the Edwards?'' she asked knowing he has an heavy signing work with them.

He lifted his head from his work and smiled at her, ''No this work Is entirely different. I wouldn't call it a work'' He told before reaching for his lighter. Rose sighed seeing him lit up his cigarette, ''You know your voice isn't getting better with that bloody stick'' she glared

The duke laughed at his daughter, ''I will stop smoking when you stop cursing''

Rose grinned, ''Although it might be hard, I will try father''

''Then we have an agreement,'' Her father smiled and days like this she knew he wasn't in a foul mood and that calmed her down cause one should never want to see her father mad.

In fact, her father never really did get mad, but when he does its an awful sight. Ever since her mother passed away her father tried understanding his two daughters, with Belinda Hamilton it was never hard not surprising when she's the oldest  but Rose was another case. Sometimes the duke found himself reminded of his dead wife, lots of Rosé wittiness and outstanding behavior reminds him of her, but still she got a lot of the genes from the duke, she had rich gold blonde hair and blue eyes so dark. . He gave his daughter freedom for twenty-two years and although trouble came through the way she blossomed into a beautiful lady. It's time he told himself.

''Young lady remember when you told me you wanted to visit every place on earth?'' Her father broke away her thoughts and she smiled her green eyes glittering, ''Yes father and I have yet not fulfilled that although I can say I started somewhere'' oh she has started quite far

The duke shook his head in disbelief, she announced one day in front of the whole table when they were having supper and some nearly couldn't believe what she said. A woman is supposed to settle down and marry other thoughts is disgraceful and plainly rubbish. But her father never knew she meant every word, he let her have a dream ''Have you ever considered that your father would miss you terribly?''

Rose grinned playfully knowing her father will always be affectionate still her twenty-two years age not something you see in every household, ''I did and that's why I considered tucking you in my baggage''

When her father didn't smile with her Rose sensed something was wrong, her heart picked up a beat but she told herself its only her mind playing games with her, just like that time when she was young and thought someone was lurking In her room but it came out it was only one of her toys, ''Why do you not wish to do other things as well?'' He suddenly asked making her frown

''Other things? Oh, father are you letting me buy that parrot but do you think they still sell him? He was so adorable you must admit that father---''

Her words were cut off as her father spit out the words in a rush, for a moment she thought she imagined the words but she was never deaf,  it was clear what he said

''Marrying. Why don't you wanna get married?''

At that moment Rose Hamilton asked herself if she maybe was naïve like her sister always said, although never was a dreamer, no Rose Hamilton never dreamt she always did was she set her mind on and even god couldn't stop her. And she has commitments and promises to fulfill and follow that destroys everything, so to hear the words she always tried to ignore was like a cold splash of reality.

Hell, she even went to those blasted ballrooms to distract her father into thinking she's interested in marriage, she even acted heartbroken once when her father wanted her to meet a man in London.

Marriage? Rose dodged that word like a bullet. But she realized how she underestimated her father's capabilities, he wouldn't let her be chaste and die a spinster, after all he is a duke who will be questioned in society... But rose also knew her father deeply cared for her.

But it did not change her beliefs and no man even her father could make her change her mind. Marriage is glamorized when in reality it's nothing but being isolated like a caged animal, well only for women, men however could go on with their lives like the bloody bastards they are! Nothing changes for them, nothing ever did.

She gulped trying to stay calm, ''Marriage? Oh, father I can go to those blasted ballrooms if you insist, I mean I will do my best to not yawn or sigh or do anything impolite''

The duke was way too quiet for an agreement, so instead of words he picked up a file and placed It neatly on his huge desk, Rose stared at the paper then up at her father in disbelief what has a paper to do with marriage? ''I know this might come as a shock for you, but we can't ignore this matter further, you're at the right age Rose and I'm aware you won't be happy but as your father I hope you listen to my words wisely''

She felt as if her father was talking a foreign language, thankfully he handed her the file. A big brown file, just looking at it made her want to place it far away from her sight. It was like it stood someone's death certificate.

''Father you can't possibly be---'' she stopped her words when she opened the file and started reading

Dear Lord Duke Hamilton of Plymouth

This is the agreement that has been signed 22 years of now, we expect the unions to be stronger between Stonehenge and Carnarvon, The Earl of Carnarvon Nicholas St. James and Rose Hamilton must be Betrothed and Married to make an alliance. We hope you fulfill your commitment.

Rose stopped herself from reading further instead she shook her head with tears glimmering in her eyes, she couldn't believe any words. Surely it is a joke, it must be a cruel one. She heard of ladies being married off to guys they didn't like and being in loveless marriage but being signed before her birth is new. She wondered if the man she called father she adored and had a laugh with every day is playing a trick on her, ''You. Mean. To. Tell. Me. I-I'' every word was like speaking with your heart in your throat

''Yes'' He answered curtly, to what Rose didn't understand.

But one thing was for certain when Rose gathered her emotions and could form words, ''I won't be marrying whoever that bloody pearl or earl is and there's nothing you could do to change my mind with''

There. She said it. She won't be marrying. She has let her father live hopefully always feeling guilty when one day she would confess marriage is not a life for her.

Her father was speechless, and she didn't even want to look him in the face, she barely recognized the words he said, she muttered looking at the window blankly ''If only mother was alive ..I wonder if mother would ever do this to me, no she would not''

Her father's anger got the best of him, he slammed his hand down the desk making rose wince ''do not go there Rose Hamilton! I have not told you this sooner because I thought you would grow out of those imaginations and be sensible, I let you be young and free and now you must have responsibly''

Grow out of it he said, and It hurt more than ever for Rose to know it isn't a stranger whose telling her this cruel word but her own father, she jutted her chin stubbornly out ''I don't care whatever you say I will not marry''

Then her father's face softens, ''Is it those friends of yours? They will all marry one day also believe me, in fact---'' He didn't get to finish when Rose threw him a hate full look, ''I expected this from Belinda and everyone but never you, and its not my friends but my own belief, I won't be married sitting around doing nothing but wait for a male creature and I most certainly won't obey one''

She felt her hands might go blue from her fists clenching; her father continued ''So there's nothing left for me to say to convince you marriage isn't as horrible as you portrayed?''

She scoffed, ''It's nothing I portrayed, it is the ugly truth father''

And with that Rose Hamilton had yet another person to add into the list of all the people she despises, but did it have to hurt as much this time?

________________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT