chapter 24

2 months later

''Are you sure you want to do this, son?'' Clifford broke his thoughts, the very cold and dangerous thoughts that came to mind, Nicholas gritted his teeth, ''I should've done it a long time ago, don't ask me further I don't want to discuss it''

What that woman did to him was something he did not want to discuss, he grabbed the file from Clifford and wrote his name harshly, ''Send it back to Duke Hamilton, I believe we have no companionship neither alliance with Stonehenge''

This past few weeks the earl distracted himself with work such as political and financial that needed to be done, but it wasn't until today that his anger came. Not one clue of her whereabouts. He send his best men to find her at every corner of Carnarvon and did not want to search further because one thing the earl never did was go back with his words.

She betrayed him, she lied and she most of all left him he did not need a source of weakness and he did not need for his life to be tumbled when he had responsibilities, ''I hope this turns out in your favor'' Clifford mumbled making Nicholas nod curtly while focusing on his files, ''You may leave''

As the door closed, he tossed the paper and files on his desk and rubbed his face in frustration, he did it. He divorced her, he ended whatever that was left. Now she could live the life she favored, he laughed bitterly when an image of her smiling at him came to mind, it could all go to hell.

He reached for the alcohol and poured himself a glass, he needed to drown the knot in his chest that squeezed until he couldn't breathe.

He told himself she was most definitely not with a child, no woman would have the stomach to hide it, she would've told him. And god only knows if she with another man, one could not believe her words after all, she was an excellent liar and he would not be the one to be fooled and feel like someone has died.

Feel like he died.

He stood up for air and regained his stability as he lit up his cigarette and watched the view from his balcony. The august weather starting to make the leaves fall, his garden looking even more depressed than ever, it was like as it reflected himself.

Suddenly a pair of long nails caressed his shoulder making him snap his gaze coldly at her, ''Leave, I am not in the mood''

The brown eyed woman nothing like her sent him a pout, ''I thought I might realize the tension---'' she gulped her words when his jaw ticked, and she scurried away. He groaned while puffing the cigarette in annoyance, though the mistress he did not even know the name off had warmed his bed he found her presence utterly annoying.

He told himself all woman are the same, just like his father once said and he never thought he would ever listen to it, not that he did but he wanted to. His own mother was an evidence to that fact when she left him young, he barely remembered her other than that his father loathed her and the rest of his uncles as well. She was a cunning lady; she lured his father and took a lot of money without a single care in the world. But Rose did not take a single penny from him, and that gutted even more. He couldn't hate her to that extent because she was nothing as his father said about woman. His father never warned him off this feeling, his father never told him how dangerous it was, perhaps his father never loved any woman after all.

But Rose Hamilton for sure left a mark in his life, one that made his whole life flip and crash down.

She was in the list like all the fired employees that he did not care off, from now on she was fired from his life.