Chapter 5 | hide out

Who said black cats were bad luck? This black cat may have just found a place to stay.

It wasn't pretty, but it'd at least keep him dry when it rained.

"Well definitely no mansion but it's a start..." Adrien mumbled to himself, looking at the abandoned building that stood before him.

He's been on the run since last night, and it was about midday now. He was sore and pretty exhausted, he really wanted to take a break. He'd been on the move for hours, and he'd successfully made it out of the main city with the help of his cat noir ability to jump rooftops. Now on the outskirts of the area he'd made it to a more rural town. It looked pretty abandoned, almost like a ghost town. It was populated the closer it was to the city but once you passed the occupied houses more and more run down ones started to pop up. He wondered if it was a place on the verge of being a ghost town because of the outdated housing and there being not many services like schools or doctors nearby.

At the end of a very quiet street was a building that seemed to have once been some kind of office place. But had since been left abandoned and fenced off, the high fences couldn't keep him out though thanks to his baton. He could pole vault himself over it. And so he did just that, landing in front of the building with a thud.

"I wonder what this place was..." he mumbled to himself.

Trying to open the doors, he found they'd been locked. Again, that wouldn't stop him... looking around the building for a window he could open or another door he ended up seeing one of the back windows slightly cracked open and with some force he was able to lift it, and crawl inside.

When he looked up he found that this building definitely used to be some kind of office. Maybe an accounting place or something? Despite being clearly old and abandoned, it was in decent shape, a lot of the stuff being left behind.

"Claws in"

Letting himself detransform, Plagg freed himself from the ring.

"Ugh what a dump" he complained.

"For an abandoned building it's not that bad, come on let's look around" Adrien replied.

A lot of the desks were left behind, on them a few papers from the old business this used to be. It was definitely dusty after being abandoned for so long, but it seemed the fences kept people out. There wasn't much damage or graffiti. It was simply a kind of dusty very empty building.

Adrien tried to flick the light switch, but found the power had been disconnected. He figured it would be though. He picked up one of the papers to see what was on it, and a lot of his guesses were confirmed.

"Looks like some kind of tax report... 2001 this place has been abandoned for a while then. I wasn't even born yet..." He said.

"You think it's safe?" Plagg asked.

"Honestly I think we lucked out. This place looks in rather good condition and it's in such a ghost town of an area there aren't many people who'd think to try and get in here. It could definitely use some cleaning... and there's no power but we can make it work"

He headed up the stairs to look at the other rooms, finding more offices and a staff room with a lounge and table still in it. There was a bathroom too, and while it didn't have power the water was amazingly still running. He wasn't sure if he should trust the water in an abandoned building, but it was a backup if he needed it. On the floors above that seemed to be some kind of seminar room, and storage closets that had been emptied.

"This was definitely some kind of accounting place back in the 2000s. We can clean up a bit, there's a sofa in the staff room we can use as a bed for a while... I think we can camp here for a bit until we can successfully forge a new identity and get a job to have our own small apartment or something" Adrien said.