Chapter 36 | a bit of relaxing

And finally with the last plate washed, Adriens shift was over. He has a break from work for a few weeks due to the cafe getting renovated and while he loved working there he was rather tired recently. A lot had happened and it drained him, not to mention his online classes he was taking now. So he'd be taking full advantage of this break, he changed out of his uniform in the back rooms and stuffed it in his bag to wash when he got home. Clocked out and headed to the counter to tell his manager he was leaving.

"Hey, my shift just ended and I gotta get going" he said.

"Alright, great work today and-"

She quickly ducked into the back and came back with his pay slip.

"Here's your pay for the week!"

"Thank you! I'll see you when the cafe opens up again!" He waved goodbye, grabbing his crutches and heading out.

He'd gotten very used to like with crutches, and he'd also been dealing with the pain flare ups a lot better. Despite the emotional damage of Nathalies little visit, he'd been recovering well. Over half a year he'd been missing, 7 months now. After a hard few months of being homeless and emotional stress, he was finally getting somewhere. The looming threat of hawkmoth made him anxious, but his civilian life was going rather well.

"Hey kitty cat!"

He stopped in his tracks in the path hearing that familiar voice, and when he turned he was met with Lilith on her way home from work too.

"Jump in, don't hurt your legs kitten" she said.

"Thanks!" He replied, happily taking the lift and getting into the passenger side of the car.

"So how was work? Spill anything this time?"

"Nope, everything was normal today"

Lilith was rather proud of her almost-foster- son. He'd made amazing progress in his life since they met the day he was found by police.

"You seem a lot more chipper nowadays, I'm glad. I didn't like seeing you sad" she complimented.

"I guess I am more chipper, I feel like I'm making progress on putting everything behind me. Those therapy sessions the police provided me actually help a lot" he replied.

"That's what they're designed for. I'd be worried if they weren't helping you. How's the scratching habit going?"

It was going so well he'd almost forgotten he even had that habit. Of course his thighs would still be scarred from all the times he'd anxiously scratch them and accidentally draw blood back at his dads place, the fear of hearing his angry footsteps up the hallways did that to him. But he hasn't done it recently, and he hadn't felt the need to either.

Maybe it was the support system he now had, or the safer environment but he felt a lot less anxious nowadays.

"Haven't done it in a while. I'm finally getting over that I think" he replied.

"That's good, can't have you hurting yourself anymore. Now, you do have enough winter clothes right? It'll be snowing pretty soon" Lilith asked.

"I do, the only thing I'm short on is socks which I plan on getting next time I go out. I think I've build up a pretty good wardrobe that's my style and practical for the seasons"

Despite not being a model anymore, he did have an eye for fashion. It was programmed into him over his life and he'd definitely found his style and was rather happy with his androgynous look he had now.

"Seems like everything is sorted then. But if you want more jumpers I'm sure Delilah will be happy to make some. She's always looking for new knitting projects" Lilith said.

"Does she ever stop making things? I swear every time I go over to your apartment there's some new project on the table"

"She's always gotta be doing something creative. The second she finishes something she has to start another, you never run out of homemade clothes, blankets, stuffed animals or tea cosies with that girl"

Marinette would definitely like Delilah, the two of them were always doing some kind of sewing or knitting project.

Pulling into the apartment they finally made it home and headed up to the top floor where they rounded the corner to head down the hall to their apartments. But to Adriens surprise he had someone waiting at the door for him.

"Oh Ad- Chaton there you are!"

"Luka what are you doing here?"

Before the question could be answered he was swept up in a hug, not that he was complaining about seeing his boyfriend.

"I finished that song, I wanted to show you" he replied.

"Already? Wow you work fast!"

Lilith smiled at the sight. Ah young queer love, reminded her of what her and Delilah were like back in the day.

"I'll leave you two to it. And kitty if Delilah makes too much pasta for dinner again I'll bring you some" Lilith said.

"She always makes too much" Adrien replied.

"I know I should get her new measuring cups for Christmas or something, I might see you later then, see ya"

She went into her apartment, and Adrien look Luka into his on the opposite end of the hall.

"How to you keep making it all the way out here by the way? Doesn't your mum wonder where you're going?" Adrien asked.

"She doesn't care we're I go as long as I'm being safe, have my phone on and I'm back for dinner. You know having your miraculous permanently makes travel a lot faster" Luka replied.

"I cannot comprehend a parent not caring where their kid is going... that's so foreign to me"

"My mum trusts me, she knows I'm not doing criminal acts or something"

"With the way Gabriel treated me, you'd think I was doing criminal acts. Don't leave the house for anything but school made me sneaky enough to get away from my bodyguard that's for sure" Adrien replied.

Luka had noticed that Adrien didn't even call his father 'dad' or 'father' anymore. He'd put up a wall between them and there was a disconnect there now. But how could anyone blame him after all he's been through? Putting up that wall was a way to heal. Adrien hung up his bag on the hooks by the door, unpacking anything he needed and throwing his uniform in the washing basket.

He finally had a chance to sit down and relax. Something he really needed.

"So, what's things song you've been keeping path of from me?" Adrien asked, sitting next to Luka on the sofa.

"Actually, I have two versions. One the band worked on for you, and one that'll stay between us" Luka replied, taking his guitar out of its case.

"You spoil me"

"Why shouldn't I? I you deserve it"

Checking his guitar was tuned, he placed it on his lap in position to play.

"Ready?" Luka asked.

"You've been teasing it for weeks, let me hear it" Adrien laughed.

"Which version first?"

"Hmm... the more secret one. I want to know what's going through your head, and I know full well it comes out the best through your music"

Luka gave him a warm smile. He was hoping that he'd pick that version. And sure enough, he was right on the money about the thoughts through music part.

"You know me well, I hope you like it..."