Chapter 17 | encounter

"I'm heading out to run some deliveries, tell mum I'll be back by 2"

Jueleka gave her brother a thumbs up from the other end of the house boat as she watched him jump on his bike to ride off. Luka had a part time job of delivering food from the local fast food place to people who ordered. Just down the road was the restaurant where he'd pick up the orders and for a few hours he'd ride around Paris delivering. He didn't have too many today, only five.

Once he'd loaded the boxes into the back of his bike, he looked at the list of addresses.

"Ok that's just last school... that's by the museum... uh... I'll go down the main highway and loop back around and I can hit them all that way. Expect for that one..." he mumbled to himself as he mapped out his route.

The last address was a bit further away and he'd have to take a detour to get there, but it was doable. He'd have to speed back home to make oh by 2 though. Once he had his route planned, he zipped off on his bike down the paths to deliver all the orders. He passed Marinettes bakery where he caught glimpse of her helping her dad make cakes, he went past the school were some of the students were in for the weekend to finish projects, he passed the park where he saw a few people he knew hanging out.

Once he'd gotten further out of the local area when when he started seeing less people he knew as to be expected.

The first two orders were quick, and third in an apartment and took a bit longer to walk up there and deliver it but by the time he got to the last two he was ready to take that detour to make the route easier. He checked the time, seeing that he had a bit longer than he thought.

"Hmm... maybe I can grab something to eat real quick..." he mumbled, upon seeing it was lunch time.

Riding around he found a place to grab a snack and sat at one of the benches to eat. This job could get a bit tiring sometimes, having to ride around all day. But, it was easy money for a 15 year old.

"Yeah I'm on my way back, I'll be there for lunch"

He suddenly perked up hearing a voice he thought sounded very familiar.

"I just got off work so maybe... 10 minutes?"

Sounded like they were on the phone with someone, Luka looked around trying to see who it was on the busy street.

"Ok, I'll see you soon! Thanks again!"

He couldn't see anyone on their phone... oh wait there was someone. He spotted on the other side of the street someone putting their phone into the pocket of a patchwork jacket. He couldn't quite tell if they were a girl or a boy and had two-toned hair. They looked so familiar but Luka just couldn't put his finger on it.

Maybe he went to primary school with them or something? Maybe an old guitar lessons classmate?

He watched the person adjust their back back and walk down the street in the direction of the more suburban area.

"I swear I've seen them before..." he mumbled to himself.

Shrugging it off he finished his snack before jumping on his bike to make those last two deliveries. But he couldn't stop thinking about that person, it was bugging him that he recognised that voice but not their appearance. They were across the street after all so he couldn't really get a good look at them, and it didn't help they were androgynous making it harder for him to place who it was.

Someone with blonde hair but black tips... wore loose comfy clothes and was a bit pale. Who could that be? Someone from school? An old family friend he hadn't seen in years? He swore he knew that person.