Chapter 12

Izuku and Kaminari sat under the apple tree, staring at the brightly lit sky above them as they took notes, observed, talked, and indulged in the small pile of apples sitting in the middle of them.

Kaminari had babbled on while Izuku zoned in and out

"You see that constellation right there? That's my favorite one. It's- Izuuuu? Are you listening?"

 Kaminari had his hands on his waist, a brow raised as he stared skeptically at Izuku, who had been staring at him mindlessly the entire time.

"I am, Kami." Izuku grinned at him, finally looking away from his lips and to his eyes.

"No, you're not." Kaminari snapped his head forward in frustration.

"I am," Izuku let out a light, airy laugh. "I can't take my eyes off you." He mumbled the last part.

Kaminari snatched an apple from the pile and bit into it with a resounding 'crunch'.

"What was that?" He asked, wiping the juice from his lips.

"I said let's continue with the project! We're almost done." 

Kaminari wiped his mouth on his sleeve and looked at the pink-faced, green haired boy. 

"Are you lying to me?"

"I would never lie to you." Izuku sounded sincere. 

Kaminari's eyes darted to Izuku's mouth. He swallowed and looked back up to the boy's mint-green eyes that held tiny speckles of stars in them. 

Wait for the right moment and kiss him. 

Kaminari let out a breath, it blew against Izuku's face, drawing attention to the closeness of their faces. He dropped the apple. It tumbled down the small hill. The blonde placed his arms on either side of Izuku, forcing him to lean back onto the ground. 

Both their hearts were drumming against their chests, but they were only focused on one thing. Kaminari leaned forward, his lips instinctively parting when he felt a light hand being placed on his abdomen, underneath his shirt. 

"Kami..." Izuku's voice was soft, affectionate, his eyes big. 

The blonde gulped and grabbed at a piece of grass tucked in one of Izuku's curls. He held it between them and laughed nervously, "This was in your hair." 

He sat back up, Izuku's hand falling out from under his shirt. Izuku followed his actions in disappointment. 

"So, uh," Kaminari cleared his throat, "Let's continue working." 

The air held a light tension to it for the rest of the night, both of their minds elsewhere, to when Kaminari had been seconds away from securing Izuku's lips in his own. 
Neither of them knew why he stopped.

The walk back to the dorms was a troubling one for Kaminari. 

His mind kept replaying the memory of earlier. Why had he stopped? 

"If only I could go back." He grumbled, rubbing at his face with his hands. 

He was outside the entrance to the tall building when he heard familiar girly squeals and rapid voices coming from somewhere ahead. 

As he neared the building, the voices became clearer and so did the figures of the girls standing in front of the doors. 

"I wonder what he's like in bed... Probably like being with a puppy." Hagakure joked, the movement of her uniform the only indicator that she was laughing quietly to herself. 

"Do you think he's dating anyone?" Someone asked. 

"I'm pretty sure he's single." Mina answered with her hand on her chin, thinking. 

Kaminari was curious as to who these girls were talking about. 

"No, no. Deku's too cute to be single, he has to be dating someone. Hm. Maybe a secret romance?" Asui asked. 

Kaminari's eyes widened. Had he heard that correctly? 

"What do you think, Uraraka?" 

The girls turned their attention to the brunette who had her arms folded, leaning against the door. 

Kaminari looked at her as well, his hands clenched at his sides in anticipation and anxiety. 

She cleared her throat and smiled sheepishly at her friends. 

"Actually...He is dating someone." Her face held a light blush to it. "Me."