1.9 - Feast on This

"So you're coming over, right?" CL asked Darren as they walked into the lunch room with Riven.

"You know I wouldn't miss your mother's cooking for the world," Darren said. Thinking about the upcoming festivities helped Darren forget about all the crazy stuff that had gone on with Erik. Knowing they were officially in the holiday seasons really put him in a good mood.

"And you're finally coming too?" CL turned to Riven.

"If you don't, you'll never hear the end of it," Darren warned Riven and they both laughed. Riven nodded his head.

"I bet. Sure, I'll come."

"And remember to bring your mom, she's invited too," CL smiled and playfully hit Darren.

"Ow!" Darren laughed and his eyes fell on Clair, who was by herself at a table working on her laptop. He suddenly remembered the text she sent him two days ago. She had officially broken up with him and hadn't bothered answering his phone calls or text messages. This was going to be the last time he went up to her to try and talk. After this, whatever the result was, he was going to move on and enjoy the upcoming holidays and what was left of the year. He said goodbye to CL and Riven and walked over to her. He sat down next to her. She looked up at him and hurt immediately filled her eyes.

"Hey, we need to talk," Darren said to her. "I don't want this to end like this."

"You made sure that it did," Clair replied coldly.

"I know you're hurt because of that note," Darren said softly. Clair's eyes filled with tears. She shook her head in disbelief.

"I can't even look at you right now," she said to him, "How can you sit there and talk to me like I'm an idiot?"

"Huh?"

"Darren I'm not an idiot!"

He looked at her confusedly, "I didn't say you were."

"You're treating me like I'm some clueless airhead," Clair gritted her teeth. "Stop acting like nothing happened after what you emailed me. How do you expect me to react after you chose to come out the way you did?"

Darren's heart sank. What had she just said?

"Clair ... what are you talking about?" Darren asked, beginning to feel his hands shake. "I didn't email you anything."

"You didn't?" Clair looked at him with anger and hurt. She turned to her laptop and typed for a few seconds before turning the laptop to him. "Then how do you explain this?"

Darren looked at the screen and saw an email from him opened with a link. She clicked on the link and suddenly he was watching himself about to have sex with Erik. He immediately slammed the laptop shut and turned to Clair, who was staring at him with so much hate he frightened him.

"So, he's an old friend, isn't he?" she asked quietly. "That's who you've been cheating on me with. You've been sleeping with another guy."

"Clair ... it's not ... I mean, I'm sorry," Darren said shamefully. She clenched her jaw and slapped him hard. A few students turned and laughed.

"I hope you're happy with your little boyfriend, you closet case," She whispered to him before grabbing her stuff and leaving. Darren closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands. What was his life coming to? Why couldn't he have just been honest from the beginning?

Why did he ever agree to meet Erik?

"Happy holidays," Darren mumbled to himself bitterly.

* * * * * *