1.17 - Up On Melancholy Hills

Riven lied on the floor staring up at the ceiling. Ear buds in place, heavy metal music blasting into his ears as his mind raced and dwelled on his life, his emotions, and his anxiety. Where was he going in life? As of now he knew he liked music and drawing, but where would that take him? Riven thought back to the days when he felt more enthusiastic about the things he loved; he used to spend hours writing lyrics to songs or drawing sceneries or sketching characters he'd make up in his mind that he thought would make cool additions to comic books.

Now things were different.

Something has changed in Riven and he knew it – he could feel it in his mind, in the bottom of his stomach, in the restlessness of his body. He was beginning to get scared. Riven could not wait for his next appointment with his shrink.

Riven didn't hear the door of his room opened and jumped when his mother gently tapped him with her foot. He looked up at her and yanked his ear buds out.

"What is it?" he asked with a hint of annoyance.

"CL's on the phone," Rosie said to him, "He says he's been calling your cellphone for over an hour and that you don't answer."

"Tell him I fell asleep," Riven muttered and dropped his head back down.

"You want me to lie to him?" his mother said, surprised by his answer.

"Tell him I'm asleep," Riven repeated, this time a little colder. "I'm not in the mood to talk to anybody."

Rosie stared at her son as he placed the ear buds back in. She hesitated a moment before finally leaving him alone.

* * * * * *

{1x17. Up on Melancholy Hills}

Written by AC

* * * * * *

Riven drove down the street early the next morning. The brightness was just too much for him to bear so he wore his favorite sunglasses. There was something about sunglasses that just brought a blanket of security to him whenever he wanted to shut the world out. No one would have to see his eyes and he could refrain from making eye contact with anyone.