1.14 - No Place Like Home

Darren stood outside his parents' house working on his antique thunderbird convertible with Riven. Both had their hands pretty dirty and their eyes focused on the engine.

"Looks like we're all good," Darren said wiping his hands with a towel. "Thanks for coming over to help me out."

"Not a problem," Riven shrugged. "I think CL and I needed some time to do our own thing anyway."

Darren raised an eyebrow. "Everything ok between you two?"

"Oh yeah, definitely," Riven nodded. "I just think it's a bad idea if a couple spends too much time together."

"Is he being annoying?" Darren grinned, "Because my cousin can be annoying as hell sometimes."

Riven chuckled and shook his head, "No that's not it. I've just been feeling a little ... well lately all I've wanted to do is have some down time. CL always wants to talk or go out on dates."

"I never thought of CL as the eager to go out to restaurants and stuff," Darren said, a little surprised.

"Well, not to restaurants exactly," Riven said, "But he does like to go out on "adventures" and just drive around and find new places."

Darren nodded.

"I don't know I just feel like I need some down time and do nothing."

"Is everything ok? With you, I mean."

"Yeah," Riven lied. He didn't want to get into the topic of his depression. It was nice to be here with Darren doing car stuff and not really having to worry about talking or anything like that. All that was required was their full attention on their cars and nothing else.

"Well if you ever need someone to talk to that isn't my dear cousin I'm here for you man," Darren said to him.

"Thanks."

Just then Darren's mother, Lori, appeared from the house grinning from ear to ear.

"What's with the crazy grin, ma?"

"Your dad just called with marvelous news!" Lori said happily.

"Oh yeah, and what would that be?" Darren asked with a grin.

"He's been offered a better position at the company!"

"That's great news," Darren laughed, "Alright dad!"

"But that's not the cool part," Lori added, beaming. "This job is in California! They want him to start immediately."

Darren's smile dropped.

"California?"

Lori nodded, clasping her hands together with joy. "We're moving to California in a week!"

"A week?" Darren repeated with a look of horror, "How is it even possible to move that fast?"

"Well the company will put us up in a really nice hotel and they will provide your father with a real estate agent to help look for a new home," Lori sighed with a grin, "They really want your father for this position."

"Great," Darren mumbled, looking away from his mother.

* * * * * *