𝟓.𝟐𝟗

─── 「UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN」 ───

     The plan was fairly simple

     The plan was fairly simple. Echo and the rest had found us a way into the valley, she guiding us through the map I had constructed with her help so that everyone could see our path clearly. In between the both of us, we explained how we'd proceed, the teams we'd divide ourselves into, and the timing of our attack. We also agreed on a rendezvous point to meet if anyone got lost, injured, or separated during the fight, though I hoped we wouldn't need it.

We were set to leave early in the morning, so Lila and Lena were to stay with Niylah. Lena was much less reactive than Lila was, so she had understood why she was staying behind without putting up a fight. But not Lila, of course not. But I had promised her a job around the camp so after the meeting ended, I moved to look for her and explain what it was.

- "Nomi!" -she waved at me as I walked into Niylah's tent- "How was the meeting?"

- "All is well." -I walked up to them- "You'll get to bore Raven, Murphy, Emori, and Echo with your tricks in no time."

- "I can't wait." -she stood up and walked up to me, resting her hands on her hips- "What's my job."

The task I gave her was simple: look out for the kids and make sure they all listened to Niylah. She ought to look out for anything weird she saw and note it down on a little notebook I handed her as well, just to keep her mind busy. She stood silent for a moment as if going over all I had said, my eyes moving to Niylah for a second as she shrugged her shoulders.

- "That's all?" -I nodded- "But nomi! I'm a big girl, I can do more to help!"

- "You want more chores?"

- "I want more responsibility."

I held back my laughter. She was a copy of her father. I'd have never asked for more responsibilities; I'd have asked for someone to show me something entertaining to do, but Roan would have been the one to drown himself in responsible things to do around the camp.

I nodded, rubbing my chin as I pretended to think of something, eyeing Lila as she tapped her foot impatiently on the floor. I finally told her she was in charge of the camp, which seemed to be exactly what she wanted. Of course, an adult would be in actual charge, but it didn't hurt Lila thinking she could do it herself. Niylah tried to hold back her laughter as Lila explained very seriously to Lena that she was now her co-leader and second in command. It made me laugh as well.

- "But Lila, remember that the other kids are your top priority, okay?" -I squatted in front of her- "Remember to take breaks and play with them as well, promise me?"

- "I will, nomi." -she hugged me- "When are you leaving?"

- "Early in the morning, but I'll be back before you know it."