𝟓.𝟑𝟎

─── 「CAUTERIZE MY HEART」 ───

     Everything had been going fine

     Everything had been going fine. And then, death took over.

I woke up that morning before Bellamy and Roan did, finding myself tangled in between them, having to crawl my way out of the bed over the pillows not to wake them up. I just couldn't sleep. It didn't matter though, for the sun was starting to rise on the horizon, and soon it'd be time to march. I got ready; not long after, the camp was mostly awake, only asleep those who we'd be leaving behind.

We went over everyone's respective duties when we got to the valley's entrance. Everyone knew their positions and what they were in charge of, so Thea and I were the first to get moving. Octavia's team would come right after us and then the rest. It was a good plan. No. It was an excellent plan. So how and when did it go wrong?

How did I end up covered in blood that wasn't mine again?

How did I land face-first on the ground with Bellamy's body over mine?

How could I lay there still as I heard my people being massacred?

How did I stand there until the shadows of the night gave us enough cover to retreat behind a rock cluster?

How did I get behind cover?

I ended up covered in blood that wasn't mine because Roan saw the reflection of the guns over our heads before the first fire was shot, my name falling from his lips, the last thing I heard before chaos erupted around me.

I landed on my face with Bellamy's body over mine because he pulled me toward him and threw me to the floor when the bullets the soldiers were aiming at us started to make holes on the ground just in front of Thea and me.

I lied there, listening to my people being murdered, because Thea held my hand and reminded me about our little girls. I lied there because Bellamy forced my head against the sand, murmuring in my ear I wasn't good to anyone dead. I stood there until the shadows hid us because I could hear Roan's breath not far away from us.

I would get behind cover because before I exhaled my last breath, there was someone who'd have to beg me for their life before I watched it die behind their eyes:

Clarke Griffin.

The only plausible explanation as to why we found ourselves being massacred was that miss privileged had decided to sell us, to change teams, to save her head as she probably found herself in trouble when walking into the valley. How idiotic could she become? Run straight to the lion's den expecting them to... what? Take them in? Clarke took the rover and ruined my plan for what? For nothing.

I only felt anger. Anger like I hadn't felt in years. The only reason I didn't move before I did was that I knew if I did, Bellamy would land a bullet to his head.