𝟓.𝟗

───── 「LIKE ICE TO FIRE」 ─────

     I hadn't seen Sam in three days, not after she saw Echo kissing me and learned about Jasper's death from Monty and Harper

     I hadn't seen Sam in three days, not after she saw Echo kissing me and learned about Jasper's death from Monty and Harper. That had been a mistake, not telling her. Monty had reproached me about it when we left the bunker and pestered me about it after we got to the Ring; that is until I told him about Abbie's vision and he kind of agreed Sam must have been dead too. His consolation? Thinking that she'd have met Jasper on the other side. I had liked to think about that too, knowing what they meant to each other. Once I saw her in the bunker, I wished I had told her for then, she'd have had time to mourn him; however, as time passed, I realized mourning was probably the last thing Sam had had in her mind during those six years. That thought broke my heart, not even able to imagine what could have been going on down there.

I had caught a glimpse of Octavia here and there but she was keeping her distance from me too. The only time she actually addressed me was to tell me to stop looking for Sam, saying I had done enough. I was terrified about what could have been going on down there, I didn't want Sam doing anything she'd later regret because of my choices.

- "Hey."

Echo walked up to where I was, sitting down beside me. Monty, Harper and she had been staying with me outside the bunker, although I knew Monty had seen Sam at least twice during that time. I had no idea what they had talked about but I figured their conversations probably revolved around Jasper. Echo had apologized for kissing me, for acting impulsively as she saw me but, the truth was, I had kissed her back on instinct so, if this was anyone's fault, it was mine.

- "Sooner or later she'll have to come out, Bellamy." -she spoke looking towards the bunker- "You have to talk to her. I have to talk to her."

- "Echo..."

- "It's my fault, I gave her the wrong impression. Well, we did." -she turned her face to look at me- "You should have told her we had slept together."

- "I know but..."

- "You should have told her we are not romantically involved."

Echo sighed, I knew she was right and this could not only have fucked up my relationship with Sam but also Echo's position and I was the only one to blame. Both she and Sam had tried to talk to me and I had ignored them, just in different ways. I knew Echo had never fully agreed about Sam being dead, at least not at the beginning; I had learned about her respect for Sam as we started speaking back in the Ring. She laughed the first time I told her Sam had to be dead. I had been so angry. She argued nothing had managed to kill her and the bunker wouldn't either; she also later added that Roan was with her and the people that had pleaded loyalty to her. "Jusheda is the closest thing to a Commander without being one, she's practically untouchable, Bellamy." I wish I had listened to her.