Chapter Twenty-Three

~ Adam ~

As it turned out, dinner with Cole rolled around much quicker than Adam had expected.

The following Friday after the bonfire, Adam left his last class of the day to find Cole leaning against the railing outside. Dark clouds had been gathering overhead for the past hour, threatening a downpour that would likely catch Adam on his way to work.

Students milled around them in haste to get home before the storm hit. Adam made his way through the crowd to where Cole stood, the other boy's hands stuffed in his black denim jacket as he watched Adam approach.

Adam stopped before him. "Hi."

Cole jerked his chin in greeting. "How was class?"

"Fine, thankyou. Yours?"

The dark-haired boy lifted one shoulder in a dismissive shrug. "Another day of lecturers trying to get me to care about foreign policy and conservatism."

"Not a fan of change?"

"It haunts me to no end."

Adam rolled his eyes playfully. "So, what are you doing here?"

If Adam was being honest, he wasn't quite sure when he and Cole had gone from being mere acquaintances to actual friends. They'd only met because of their mutual friendship with Piper, even if she was more Adam's friend than Cole's. Adam hadn't even noticed when they'd transitioned to seeing each other without her around.

Cole was standing outside Adam's classroom for the second time in their history of knowing each other. The reason could very well be for the simple fact that Adam was tutoring him, but somehow that didn't feel right to Adam. What did it mean if Adam wanted it to be more?

A flash of silver glinted in the dying rays of sunshine. The Georgio's gift voucher from their success at Trivia Night last week was clutched between Cole's pale fingers. "I figured we'd cash in that dinner."

"Oh," Adam's smile fell. He clutched his bag strap. "Tonight?"

Cole shrugged. "Unless you don't want to."

"No, it's not that. It's just-" Adam's shoulders dropped slightly. "I'm, uh, working tonight."

"What time do you get off?"

"I don't normally get home 'till two."

"Oh." Cole's said, dark eyebrows knitting together. "What about tomorrow night?"

"I work Saturday's as well."

"I take it Sunday's out too?"

Adam's gaze fell to the ground, thoughts of homework and studying and housework filling his weekend plans. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Cole said. He pocketed the voucher and looked back to Adam. "You can't help these things."

"It's not because I don't want to." Adam said, trying to salvage the situation before Cole walked away. "It's just-"

"No, I get it." One corner of Cole's mouth tugged upwards in a half-smile. "We do what we have to do."

"I'm sorry." Adam tried again.

Cole shook his head. "Stop saying that. You don't have to be."

Adam let out a slow exhale. He'd really wanted to take Cole up on his offer. Maybe they could try again during the semester break after exams.

Cole gazed at Adam. "We can always tr-"

A shrill noise cut through the air, cutting off whatever Cole had been about to say. Startled, Adam pulled his phone from his pocket.