Chapter One

~ Adam ~

Adam Grey groaned as the heavy thud of reverberating bass shook his house again. He could hear the plates rattling in the cabinet downstairs and felt the vibrations through the thin mattress on his bed. This was the third night in a row, and it was only getting worse.

Rolling over, Adam checked the time on his bedside alarm clock and scoffed in frustration. It was two fifty-eight in the morning and Adam had class at nine. If this ruckus kept up, he would be getting no sleep all night.

When another wave of bass hit the house again, Adam threw the covers back and jumped to his feet. It was no use going to the house next door as every time he stormed over and rapped his knuckles bloody on the door, his neighbour never answered. Either they couldn't hear Adam over their obnoxiously-loud dubbed trash or they were ignoring Adam's continuous knocking. The latter idea made Adam's blood boil.

There were other things he could do, but the police now knew his name personally given how many noise complaints Adam had called in over the past three months. He was ashamed to know the officers' names too and was even more humiliated when they smiled and waved him good night each time they came around.

It never seemed to matter in the end as no matter how many warnings or even fines were issued, Adam's neighbour refused to let up with blasting their stereo at ridiculous hours of the morning. It wasn't everyday, but Adam was struggling to find a pattern amongst this craziness. Maybe his neighbour just liked to piss off the rest of the street.

Adam had tried rallying his other neighbours but none had the same afflictions he did given that he was the second-last house at the end of the street and his rude neighbour was at the end of the block. Adam's house was closest and therefore he got the worst of the trashy tunes his neighbour liked to blare at deafening volumes during the night.

Picking up his phone, he opened his texts and typed furiously. It was late at night but Adam knew who would be awake.

 It was late at night but Adam knew who would be awake

As trustworthy as always. His best friend's reply was instant.

Adam's phone rang a moment later and he answered on the second ring

"Oh honey." The voice of Piper Enzo filtered through Adam's phone speaker. "Do you want me to come over and kill them for you? I just got back from the gym and am pumped for a good brawling."