Chapter Thirty-Four

~ Cole ~

Cole, for as long as he had been alive, had never been a morning person

Cole, for as long as he had been alive, had never been a morning person. He'd slept through classes, exams, social functions, and that one job interview his brother had tried to set up for him at a law firm internship when he was eighteen. Mornings had never been Cole's thing.

Unfortunately, they were Brendon's, possibly a very real spawn from Hell.

Cole was drowsily making coffee in the kitchen, barely awake, when the front door opened and footsteps marched down the hall. A moment later, Brendon Decker appeared in the doorway.

For being brothers, Cole and Brendon looked like complete polar opposites. Where Cole was every bit as callous and unrefined as his reputation; dark hair and clad with tattoos who could race with the best of them, Brendon was a pompous autocrat shaped like Prince Charming.

Most people often wondered how the brothers were related. Where Cole was every inch his father's lookalike, Brendon took after their mother with golden waves and blue eyes that chilled you to the bone when they focused on you, which was exactly how they were now.

"Cole." Brendon came around the bench to stare down his younger brother. "You said Max was in some kind of trouble. How bad is it?"

"Hello, Brendon. Nice to see you too." Cole mocked.

Brendon scowled. "Don't play the victim with me. I have enough to do without you wasting all of our time. Where is Max?"

"He's upstairs."

"I'll get him."

"He's sleeping, Brendon."

"He can sleep after we've talked." 

"I'm here," a small voice sounded.

Max appeared in the doorway a moment later and Cole knew instantly he hadn't slept a wink. He work an oversized hoodie (probably an old one of Cole's) with the hood drawn up over a pale face. Part of his dark hair stuck out at awkward angles and the size of the bags under his eyes could've rivaled Jupiter. 

"Max," Brendon said. "How are you, little brother?"

Max scoffed as he wandered further into the kitchen. "Like you care."

"Max." Cole warned.

Max sighed dramatically as he turned to face Brendon. "I'm great, Brendon. How are you?"

"Watch your tone," Brendon said. "From what I've heard, you're in far greater trouble than simply an attitude problem."

"Oh, really?" Max turned a challenging look on the eldest Decker brother. "And what exactly have you heard, Brendon?"

Brendon pulled out a manilla folder from his bag and tossed it onto the countertop before Max. A look inside revealed the detailed police report from Max's arrest and outstanding conditions of retribution. Cole knew pulling strings to get this would've been easier than playing the violin for Brendon.