Chapter Thirty-Nine

~ Adam ~

As far as Sunday nights went, Adam never expected to be dressed head-to-toe in black and crouched down beside the fence that separated his and his neighbour's properties. There was heavy cloud cover above, blocking any rays of moonlight and casting the neighbourhood awash in darkness.

"This is such a bad idea." Adam groaned.

"Shut up. No it's not." Piper was crouched beside him, digging through a backpack rather loudly for the stealth this particular situation demanded. Like Adam, she was dressed completely in black clothing to intentionally blend into the dark.

"We have a plan and we're going to stick to it." Piper continued, hair falling in her face as she dug through her bag. She swiped it away with a huff. "There's no cause for alarm."

"Oh, sure." Leo said on Adam's other side. He wore a pair of sunglasses for reasons Adam hadn't figured out. "Not like trespassing on private property isn't a crime or anything."

He was the only one of them not wearing a complete attire of black; instead, he wore bright yellow parachute pants, looking not unlike a bumblebee when paired with the oversized black hoodie he wore on top.

"Really, Leo?" Piper had glared the moment he stepped through Adam's door earlier that night. "Did you completely miss the memo I sent beforehand?"

"It was seventeen pages long! I've got class readings that are shorter than that!"

"You're going to stand out more than heterosexuality at a Pride parade!"

After finding out Leo's black jeans were in the wash - a spiel that sent Piper on another ten minute rant about why you should have more than one pair of jeans to begin with - Piper, forever being Piper, reached into her backpack and produced a spare hoodie. Apparently borrowed from her roommate, Skye, which explained the red pentagram on the back.

"There." Piper smirked as she stepped back to admire her handiwork once Leo was dressed appropriately. Sort of. "Now let's go and get some sweet revenge on your dickhead neighbour."

And that was where a very unfortunate series of bad decisions had led Adam at this very moment; crouched in the bushes along the edge of his property as he watched his best friend plan an elaborate prank.

"This is ridiculous." Adam whisper-shouted. "We could get arrested."

"Please," Piper scoffed. "The police clearly don't give a shit about this estate."

It wasn't reassuring to know she was right. "That doesn't make this okay."

"And yet, that fact is irrelevant." Piper whooped quietly as she finally found what she was looking for. Aggressively pulling the item free from her bag, she set it down between her and Adam.

Adam frowned, picking up the small bottle to read the label. "Really, Piper? Stink spray?"

"Ooh, you can get different ones." Leo eagerly swiped up the bottle. "This one's called Smell From Hell."

"And," Piper smirked as she set down her next item. 

Adam's eyes bulged out of his head. "No, absolutely not. No way. He's going to actually kill me."

There, set on the ground between them, was a large bottle of liquid hydrogen peroxide.

"You are insane!" Adam hissed at Piper.

Piper rolled her eyes as Leo reached over and picked the bottle up, weighing it thoughtfully in his hands. "I have so many questions."

"Adam, you remember that experiment we did in eighth-grade science class?" Piper asked sweetly.