Chapter Thirty-Seven

~ Adam ~

"Don't you think that's too aggressive?" Adam asked. "It sounds like a threat."

"That's because it is a threat." Piper answered from where she laid on her stomach on his bed. His phone was in her hand with Snapchat open to the conversation with his neighbour. "This guy has been harassing you for months without a care in the world. It's time he got a taste of sweet karma."

"Still," Adam fiddled with a loose thread on his sheets. "None of that will matter if I violate cyberbullying laws."

"Please, we haven't gone that far yet. We're only just getting started. Now, what's your next step?"

Adam yawned so wide his jaw cracked. "Sleep. I've been pulling overtime at the garage while two of the guys are out with the flu. And I've got to get to the library by seven tomorrow before all the seats are filled with the exam study crowd."

Piper rolled her eyes. "If people just studied throughout the year they wouldn't have to be pulling these frantic, last-minute cram sessions only weeks out from the exam period."

"Oh, so people like me, you mean." Leo piped up from where he sat in the armchair in the corner of Adam's room. He looked like the very definition of chaos with a notebook in his lap, computer balanced on his elevated legs, and a textbook balanced on the arm of the chair. A pen cap sat between his teeth, and he was frantically slashing lines of highlighter across the open textbook.

Piper gestured to him without looking away from Adam. "Case in point."

"Not everyone can be as dedicated as you." Adam nudged her playfully.

"As us, you mean. You've been studying for months now."

"Well," Adam looked out his bedroom window to the house opposite. "God knows I can't get any work done at home."

"Which is why we're going to fix it."

"Remind me again how sending hostile messages to your next-door neighbour is going to solve anything." Leo said.

"It's a wake up call." Piper crawled up onto her knees, phone still in hand. "Whoever this guy is, it's time he knows Adam is ready to take it to the next step. If the cops won't do anything then we will."

"And how exactly are you going to do that without breaking the law yourself?"

"I did write him an essay." Adam said thoughtfully.

"We," Piper scowled, "are going to give him a taste of his own medicine. An eye for an eye. If he wants to dish it out, he better be ready to get it served back."

Adam and Leo shared a look. They'd grown accustomed to Piper's organised chaos a long time ago when it came to mastermind planning. She had an idea and she was going to see it through no matter what anyone said.

Before either Leo or Adam could respond, Adam's phone buzzed. Piper looked down at it before smirking. "Loverboy's texting."

Adam reached for the phone but Piper held it out of his reach. She pointed it accusingly at him. "Don't let him distract you from the mission."