Chapter 4

So that answers part of the question, Waverly thought.

She had sensed a vibe from Nicole after their first meeting on the balcony, but this confirmed it. Nicole definitely liked women. Waverly could tell when someone liked her, male or female. She sensed Nicole was interested, but Waverly put her in the 'plays both sides of the field' category. So, what was her relationship with that man outside her flat, she wondered. And, why was she over-thinking a woman, admittedly an attractive woman, who she had only just met.

Waverly was finishing a pile of ironing, when the doorbell rang. She was in her customary barely-there shorts and T-shirt, no bra as she wanted to catch a few more rays after slogging over Champ's work shirts. Nicole was standing in the doorway holding the Tate Modern catalogue she purchased. She looked beyond Waverly into the apartment, hinting she wanted to come in. Waverly was in two minds. She liked Nicole, but after the balcony scene, she wanted to keep their relationship strictly neighbourly.

After an awkward silence, Waverly invited her in. The apartment was a mess. It was on Waverly's 'to-do' list, but domesticity really wasn't her calling in this life. It was one thing to be at home during the day, it was so not her 'thing' to have to do all the chores. She noticed Champ slacking off once he knew she was in the apartment for much of the day. She stopped him calling her 'wifey' after the second occasion.

Girlfriend, yes. Wife, definite No. No ring, No thing, in her books.

Waverly headed to the kitchen, Nicole following. She wondered why Nicole was holding the catalogue.

She filled the kettle, as Nicole took a seat at the breakfast bar. "Would you like a coffee?"

"Please. Sorry I had to leave yesterday. Had some business to attend to."

"I saw," Waverly teased, knowing Nicole had seen her watching the kiss on the balcony.

"Oh, right. Yes, forgot how open these balconies are."

Waverly's curiosity got the better of her. "Girlfriend?"

Nicole scanned Waverly's face. Waverly didn't seem too concerned at having caught her with Shae on the balcony. Good sign she thought.

"No, I don't do girlfriends."

"You were doing that one." Waverly shot back with a wink, prompting a laugh from Nicole. Perhaps Waverly was like her older sister afterall, able to shoot quick one-line replies.

"What I meant was, my job doesn't allow me to have a serious relationship, right now. I mean, I want one, but I move about so much it wouldn't be fair."

Waverly pondered Nicole's comment. "Couldn't they travel with you?"

"True. But, most of the people I've dated don't want to be on the road all the time. Shae lives here. I see her when I'm in town. No strings. She's married anyway."

Waverly was not surprised Shae was banging Nicole while married. It wasn't as if she was a moral compass herself. It did put a different perspective on Nicole. She obviously didn't mind if someone was attached or not. Fair game.

Nicole sat fingering the catalogue.

"Do you fancy a drink tomorrow evening?"

Waverly wasn't sure. If she was going to keep this strictly neighbours, perhaps going for a drink wasn't such a good idea. Then again, Charlie would be out partying with the boys. A drink with Nicole, or watching TV all evening on her own. Decisions, decisions.

"Sure. Why not."

"8pm, OK?"

"Smart, or casual?"