Chapter 15

They were on the run. It was no longer safe staying in the UK. Nicole needed to get them out of the country. Fast.

She knew just the place.

She had chartered a private plane to take them to Italy. It landed in Marco Polo Airport, Venice early evening. There was a private water taxi waiting. It took them the short distance to Nicole's place on the Grand Canal. As the taxi moored, Waverly could see the entrance to a large, ornate building. Bet Nicole has rented a nice apartment, she thought to herself as they were helped off the taxi. Nicole hadn't rented an apartment, she owned a whole Venetian palace.

Waverly's eyes widened as they walked through a large entrance hallway, up a flight of stone stairs on the right, into the most spectacular drawing room she had ever seen. Antique furniture everywhere, beautiful paintings on the walls, sumptuous Persian rugs on the floor. Nicole was amused by the look of awe on Waverly's face.

"OK. And breathe."

"I can't. Nicole. What is this place?"

"It's my father's. He needed somewhere for his legitimate antiques. OK, plus not so legitimate. It was my summer home when we were in Europe."

"Right. And, there's me holidaying at Butlin's most summers."

Nicole didn't know what she meant, guessing she hadn't seen anywhere like this before.

"I have somewhere else to show you."

"Don't tell me you have another place like this in Venice."

"Oh. Err, no. I do have six apartments around the world."

Waverly couldn't tell whether Nicole was joking. "Only six. Where exactly?"

"Paris, New York, Vienna, Sydney, Toronto and Hong Kong. I'm looking at another in Morocco."

Waverly was shaking her head. She couldn't process new Nicole. She previously imagined her as someone living out of a suitcase in rented apartments. Not someone who had enough money to splurge on luxury property around the world. But, if you're stealing to order and have money to burn, why not. She had been more than happy with Champ's apartment. She laughed at her naiveté.

"What's funny?"

"Oh, nothing. Information overload. What did you want to show me?"

Nicole took her hand, leading Waverly back down the stairs used when they first entered. They descended another flight to a lower level. Low lighting detailed the brickwork, a large black metal door at the far end of a narrow corridor.

"So, what I'm about to show you is my life's work. Don't be freaked out."

Waverly was freaked out. What did Nicole have locked in the room under her Venetian palace?

Nicole entered a code on the pad in front of her. Waverly heard the door unlock. Nicole pulled it back. Bright lights came on automatically, revealing a huge underground cavern. A flight of metal steps led down from a small landing just inside. Nicole took Waverly's hand as they entered.

Wealth. Stolen wealth. Viewed only by a chosen few.

Waverly's mouth was open at the sight before her. Paintings, golden chalices, jewels. Dazzling to the eye.

Wealth. Stolen wealth.

"Is. Is this all just for you? I mean. Have you brought others here before me?"

"Only you. I couldn't take the risk of someone knowing about this place. It's my sanctuary. My place of beauty. I've let you into my world. You must promise me never to tell anyone. It would not be safe, OK. Not even Wynonna. I know you tell her everything, but this stays with us."

Waverly nodded. In this very moment, she had no idea how she would ever explain any of this to her anyway. A question suddenly flashed in her mind. Who did Nicole have to share this with?

"Weren't you lonely? Not being able to share your life with anyone."

"Of course. Many times I wanted someone to stand and gaze at the beauty with me. But it's too much to ask of someone. The burden of knowing might kill any pleasure gained."

"Then you found me."

"Then I found you."

That's when Waverly saw it. Displayed on the far wall. The Picasso.

She couldn't take her eyes off it. "Nicole, seriously. This is so fucked up. I love it."

"Thought you might. Not too freaked out?"

"Seriously, I'm completely freaked out right now. But, also so fucking horny. I could take you on that chaise longue right here."

"Be my guest. Just be careful of the fabric. It was owned by Marie Antoinette."

"So, so fucked up."

They made love on the very item of furniture King Louis XVI of France and Marie Antoinette had once indulged their passions. As Waverly came, straddling Nicole, she couldn't help but think to herself she would never ever be bored again.

"How did you get it here? The painting."

"Robin. My courier. If Doc isn't with me, Robin collects the pieces I leave in the drop place. Those I choose for myself, he brings here."

There's a private masked ball tomorrow evening at one of the palazzos. It's not the main event in Venice. The carnival is in February. I'll bring you back for that if you like. They made their way upstairs. Waverly was quiet, contemplating her new world.

The gondola arrived at 9pm to take them to the ball. Nicole had a selection of antique masks for Waverly to choose from. She selected one with a delicate black and gold design, which Nicole thought was a beautiful choice.

"You know that one was once owned by Queen Victoria."

"Fuck off."

"No. Honestly. It was the one she wore to her first masked ball with Prince Albert."

Waverly nearly dropped it on the floor. "Not even going to ask where you got this."

"It was my father's favourite. He bought it, admittedly with money from a big jewellery heist. My mother wore it on occasions, when she was here."

"Do you still see your parents?"

"Not really. My father doesn't want me visiting him in jail. My mother doesn't want me visiting period."

Waverly realised Nicole truly was that orphan on the railway platform, in a screwed up, Hollywood kind of way. Nicole hadn't known anything else in her life. A father who indulged his passion for possessions, a mother who gave up the one possession she should have held onto for dear life.

Nicole.

They made their way out to the small jetty. It was a perfect evening. Warm, the waves caressing the side of the gondola as they stepped on board, its lantern lit for their journey.

They kissed as the water carried them to an extraordinary evening. Love making in Venice has its own distinct rhythm.

Entering Palazzo Santa Sofia, Waverly heard the music (Nox Vahn & Marsh - Follow Me). She held Nicole's hand as they moved among the guests, masked strangers nodding as they passed. Nicole nodding in return.

Waverly would follow Nicole forever.