Chapter 10

Waverly had only just closed the door to her apartment, when she heard the knock. Nicole was standing in the corridor, blue journal in her hand. Waverly didn't know what to say. She felt guilty at having read it. She felt betrayed this was Nicole's real life. She felt a complete fool for having been taken in. She felt love for the woman standing before her.

Nicole had tears in her eyes once more. She wanted to be loved. She saw how Waverly looked at her now. It crushed her. She knew what she did couldn't be explained. That's why she kept it hidden. Who would be brave enough to stand with her, no matter what?

"Nicole, I'm sorry. I...."

"You know."

"I can't deal with this right now."

"When? Will there ever be a time you deal with this?"

"Nicole, I don't know. Fuck, why? Doesn't matter. God, I love you. But, this?"

Nicole broke down. Her whole life was unravelling before her. Everything she did, everything she feared was being realised in that moment. Waverly's heart broke too. The enormity of the situation drowning her. The two stood crying, looking into each other's eyes.

"Waverly, don't throw me away. Please, I'm begging you."

Waverly pulled Nicole towards her. Holding her as they both let their hearts break.

"Nicole. I love you. But, this is really, really fucked up. OK. I need time to think."

Waverly's mind was in overdrive. She knew she only had two choices.

"My darling, I just need to figure out where I am in all of this."

This seemed to calm Nicole. Waverly had never seen her so emotional. She loved her, adored her, but at the same time Nicole had lied about who she really was. That little word.

Trust.

Could she ever trust Nicole?

Could she ever trust herself?

Waverly looked at Nicole, unable to know what to do, where to go with this. Nicole was looking at her like an orphan child abandoned at a railway station.

"Can I stay with you for a while?"

Waverly led her into the lounge. They sat hugging on the sofa. Champ would be in soon, but it no longer mattered. She could always explain Nicole's presence as a cry for help, boyfriend troubles, given both clearly looked like they had been crying.

She heard the key in the door. Nicole released herself from their embrace. She passed Champ in the hall, her head down, blue journal in her hand.

"What's up with Nicole?

"Oh, the usual. Boyfriend dumped her."

"Bastard. Still, a couple of my mates are keen. Do you want me to give them her number?"

"Best not. I think she's not into men right now."

Waverly spent a restless night struggling with everything she now knew. Would it have been better not to know? What did she want? Was Nicole worth all the hassle? Did she want to have someone in her life with that kind of baggage? Stolen, expensive baggage to be precise.

Dawn came. She still hadn't slept. She was exhausted. She didn't know what to do. She lay in bed as Champ got ready to go to the gym. He left shortly after 8.30am. She heard the doorbell a few minutes later.

Nicole looked equally wrecked. Entering the apartment, she took Waverly's hand leading her to the bedroom.

"No. I can't. Nicole. I can't."

There was no negotiation. Nicole's emotions were raw. She needed Waverly beside her. She couldn't bear the thought of losing her.

They lay in bed. Nicole's side smelt of Champ. The sadness between them was palpable.

"If I go with you. Nicole, this is a huge leap for me. It has to be all or nothing. I have to know. God, I can't believe I'm saying this. I have to know you'll keep us safe. I can't even get my head around all of this. But, right now. You need to promise me you'll keep us safe."

"I promise. With my life."

It was the first kiss they shared where honesty was on their lips.

They wrapped their arms around each other.

"Nicole, Champ will be back soon. Can I come round later?"

Nicole knew she needed to give Waverly the space to consider her options. She kissed her, leaving her to make her decision on her future.

Stepping out on the balcony, feeling the sun warming her, she knew she couldn't abandon Nicole. She knew even with the enormity of what she now knew about her, she was in too deep. It's strange. She baulked at Champ calling her 'wifey,' yet, was accepting of the fact her new lover was an international thief, probably wanted in different countries.

Curious what love does to us.

Champ was keen to try a new bistro for lunch. A short walk from the apartment. Waverly said she just needed to check on Nicole before they went.

She entered Nicole's flat. Sitting on the sofa, she was silent. What she was about to say would change the course of her life.

"Nicole. I've made my decision."

Nicole looked worried. She feared Waverly would not be able to take her on, now knowing what she did. What she had done.

"Together. OK."

Nicole couldn't believe what she was hearing. She knew Waverly was making that huge leap of faith for her. She wouldn't let her down. She couldn't let her down. She was her life.

"So, where now?"

Nicole knew honesty needed to be on the table from this point onwards.

"I'm here for a big job. Everything else was just to keep me from being bored."

Waverly let out a laugh. The one thing she constantly struggled with was boredom. And, here she was listening to Nicole explain her way of dealing with boredom was to steal a Picasso.

"OK. So do I need to know the details?"

"I can go through it with you. But..." Nicole trailed off.

"But, what?"

"It's just. I work alone."

"For fuck sake Nicole, just tell me what you're up to."

"I'm here for the Cullinan diamonds."

"The what?"

"The two major diamonds in the Crown Jewels, kept in the Tower of London."

Waverly's mouth fell open. "You have got to be fucking kidding me, right?"

"Yep. I just wanted to see the look on your face."

Waverly realised Nicole was joking. She punched her hard on the arm.

"Not even fucking funny," she said, laughing, breathing a sigh of relief. "OK, why are you really here?"

"A painting. Doc's client wants a Monet. It'll be tricky, but perfectly within my scope."

"So, where are the other two paintings?"

"You'll see."