Chapter 22

Nicole would pose as an unscrupulous art dealer, looking to acquire a painting illegitimately for one of her clients. She was not known to the gang. It would be a case of arranging a meeting with Bobo to get him to accept the job.

Bobo would never suspect a woman undermining his operation. Dolls hadn't until he spotted Nicole on security footage. If Bobo found out the person taking work from him was a woman, it would severely bruise his male ego. It would make him look weak in front of his gang. A woman outsmarting someone like Bobo. He would have no choice but to eliminate his female rival to maintain status. Afterall, how could be remain powerful when a woman was screwing him.

Doc understood the plan. He didn't like the plan, or the fact Nicole would be exposed. But, agreed it might just work.

"Doc, it's the only way. Nicole's profile is with every major gallery and museum around the world. She'll never be able to return to being a thief. We need to put her on display. Bobo needs to know she is behind the thefts. Not you. Yes, it's risky, but she's the key."

There was another reason Dolls wanted Doc to inform his clients. He wanted to neutralise their criminal activities at the same time as taking out Bobo. Dolls was nothing if not thorough.

The plan was outlined to Nicole. She understood. If it helped Doc, she would do it. Dolls reassured her he would be there by her side as back up. This would also help reduce her sentence. He recommended not telling Waverly. Nicole agreed, making one request to see her before leaving for Moscow. Dolls agreed.

They sat gazing at each other through the glass. Nicole was happy to see her smiling face again. She knew she was doing the right thing working with Dolls. Waverly told her what she had been doing. Nicole listened, without paying attention. Simply to hear her voice was enough.

Dolls and Nicole flew to Moscow. The meeting was held in a private dining room at one of the smartest restaurants in the city. Bobo didn't attend. He observed from another room via a hidden camera. His business associate noted the requirements of the job. Bobo liked the look of Nicole. He could easily do business with someone this beautiful. She got up to leave, pulling a business card from her jacket pocket.

Bobo studied the card. It had her phone number. He was tempted to arrange a secluded dinner with her before she left Moscow. He certainly wanted to get to know this gorgeous red head.

Nicole's ability to remain calm got her through the meeting. Cool under pressure – sangfroid. That and having Dolls by her side.

The sting had begun.

It was Doc's turn. He started making calls to his clients. He was careful not to reveal Nicole's identity. Only to say he was working with someone to procure pieces. More requests started coming in. None would be fulfilled. It was a case of generating a big enough buzz about his thief.

Nicole's phone rang. A number she didn't recognise. A deep male voice spoke.

"Miss Haught, I am glad you came to us for your request."

"Who is this?"

"My name is Bobby Lebed. Bobo."

Nicole nearly dropped the phone. What was Bobo doing calling her?

"I would like to discuss the arrangement with you in person. This evening, 8pm. Come to the same restaurant."

Nicole was shaking. This wasn't in the plan. She couldn't say no. No one ever said no to Bobo Lebed.

"Perfect. See you there."

She sat on the bed, still shaking. One thought in her head: Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

Dolls knocked on her door.

"You OK?"

"No. I've been invited to dinner by Bobo."

"Perfect. This is better than I could have hoped. We've got him by the balls."

"Oh, God. I hope not. It's not my thing."

Dolls realised what she was implying. He laughed.

"It's OK. No, balls will be touched in the capture of Bobo. We need to get you a swanky dress. You're going to need it to get this guy excited."

"Oh, God. This is so, so fucked up."