Chapter 24

Dolls checked the wire on Nicole was working properly.

"I know what you are doing is very dangerous. Just be amazing, OK."

"I'd rather be alive, if that's OK."

Dolls hugged Nicole. "I'm sorry to put you through this. It's a mess, but we'll get through it."

Waverly had shown Nicole the way to let people into her life. She wasn't on her own any more. She had people around her. People who cared for her. People she cared for.

A car came to collect Nicole. It swept along the driveway towards a mansion on the outskirts of Moscow. Nicole was impressed. There were lots of guards with guns outside. This place is heavily protected she assessed, as one of the guards opened the car door for her. Entering the mansion, more guards, all armed. She was escorted through a set of doors at the end of the hallway. Bobo was sitting at a long table, talking to someone on his phone. He waved his hand for Nicole to approach.

"One moment."

He motioned for Nicole to sit. "Yes, tonight. Do the job and I will consider your debt settled."

"Good evening Nicole. I thought we would eat first. After, I will show you my collection."

The meal was as relaxed as the previous evening. Bobo was a good host. Nicole was beginning to like him. He had charm, a way about him. They sat chatting, Nicole scanning the room for an item to acquire.

"Come. Let me show you."

He took Nicole's hand, leading her out to the hallway, down a flight of stairs to a dimly lit corridor, a large metal door at the end. Does every criminal have an underground art chamber, she pondered as Bobo opened the door. Nicole was impressed. So many things to steal.

"You really know your art."

She spent time perusing the collection. She settled on one small item suitable for her to steal. She was careful not to spend too long viewing it. A quick glance, she moved on. Returning to the dining room, they resumed their conversation. Bobo explained his most recent additions. A collector who couldn't pay a debt had parted with his collection of small boxes. So intricate. So delicate. Bobo had not considered collecting these until he held one in his hand. It had once been owned by Frederick II, King of Prussia no less.

A car returned Nicole to her hotel, shortly after 11pm. She headed to Dolls' room.

"No luck? I'm guessing there wasn't an opportunity to steal anything."

Nicole opened her purse, extracting the stolen piece. A delightful Eighteenth Century snuffbox made of green chrysoprase stone, featuring an intricate pattern detailed in gold and diamonds. The very one she had stolen from the V&A museum.

"You are amazing. I knew you were good. Did you leave your card?"

"Oh, yes. With a handwritten message."

"OK. Tell me. What did you write?"

YOUR RIVAL IS A WOMAN

Dolls couldn't stop laughing. "Our flight leaves in two hours. Grab your things."

Nicole was sitting in Heathrow Airport when she sent the text to Bobo.

Nicole: Wonderful evening. Left something in your art room.

Bobo: Pleasure is mine. We have dinner tonight. I can return it.

Bobo headed downstairs, looking for what Nicole might have left. He saw her business card in the space where the snuff box had been on display. Turning it over, he read her message.

"Fuck! She's the thief."