Chapter 8

Nicole didn't want to leave. Waverly didn't want her to leave, but Champ would be back in a little under an hour and she needed to prepare the evening meal. They had spent the afternoon getting to know each other's body. Waverly followed Nicole's lead. For someone who had never been with a woman, Waverly was a quick learner. She wanted to know everything. There was so much more to reveal. Now wasn't the time.

Nicole dressed reluctantly. She could have stayed forever in Waverly's arms. She felt safe. She also felt safe with Shae. But, being married kept their relationship at a distance. Nicole knew Shae wasn't going to leave her partner. It gave her the freedom to come and go as she pleased. Something was different between her and Waverly. A deeper connection to another. She couldn't bear the thought of Champ being with her. Possessing her. She wanted only her eyes to gaze upon her beautiful form.

Her next theft? Stealing Waverly from Champ.

The early evening news was on. Waverly was half paying attention, her mind on other things. One person in particular. The newsreader moved to the next item.

"Tate Modern today released details on the theft of two paintings. The museum chose not to release details of the theft sooner as they were working with investigators to recover the artworks. They are now appealing to the general public for any information on the whereabouts of the two paintings: Dod Procter's - The Orchard and Picasso's - The Dream."

Waverly's ears pricked up hearing the title of the second painting. The very one she had spent time looking at, the one circled in Nicole's catalogue. Wow, what were the chances? she wondered.

She would have to tell Nicole.

Champ arrived home. He was tired. He had been working really hard on an investment deal. If successful, it would mean a huge bonus. Was it wrong for Waverly to be shagging her neighbour while he was out at work? Perhaps. They weren't married, or engaged, but she recognised it was a betrayal of the trust they had with each other. Did she feel bad? A little. She and Nicole had only slept together once. Nicole said she didn't do girlfriends. This might go nowhere. It might only be for whatever time Nicole was in the country. Afterall, Nicole moved about with her job. She probably would be moving on shortly. Waverly hoped not too soon.

"Babes, I have to go to Rome on Thursday. Big deal on. Joe's going too. You could ask Chrissy if she wants to stay for a few days, while the boys do The Italian Job."

He thought he was being clever calling his business trip 'The Italian Job.' Little did he know he was nearer the truth than he realised. Someone was planning to steal his most valuable possession.

Waverly would have preferred not to have Chrissy stay. She could have spent the time with Nicole. Sensing it would appear odd not inviting her, she decided better to go down that route than raise suspicion. Plus, she would have Nicole to herself during the day, while Chrissy was at work.

As soon as Champ left the next morning, Waverly was at Nicole's door. Nicole let her in. She was still in her night wear. Waverly pulled her into the lounge. Temptation needed its fix. Nicole motioned to the open door of her bedroom. They wasted no time resuming what they left off the day before.

Waverly's head was resting on Nicole's chest, both spent from several hours of love making. "Did you see the news last night? That painting I really liked at Tate Modern has been stolen."

"Really. Which one?"

"The Dream. Strange, because it was the only one you circled in the catalogue."

"Oh, right. That one. What are the chances?"

"I know. That's exactly what I thought. Spooky. Mind you, at least I got to see it before it was taken."

"It's worth a lot of money. The last time it was sold, it went for $155 million. Did you know it was damaged? Last owner put his elbow through it. Cost him a $90,000 repair bill."

Wow, Nicole really did know her art, Waverly thought. She was impressed. She had looked at the painting and enjoyed its erotic content, giggling when she spotted the erect penis Picasso had painted as part of the woman's face. Nicole knew the painting intimately.

Chrissy plonked her overnight bag in the guest bedroom. She was looking forward to spending an evening with her good friend. They had a lot to catch up on. They saw each other less frequently, now Chrissy was with Joe. She hoped the boys would be OK in Italy, realising they probably were already out on the town, drinking wine, enjoying the Italian night life. She trusted Joe. She knew Champ was just as smitten with Waverly to do anything behind her back.

They settled down to watch a film on Netflix, a second bottle of white wine open in front of them, the remains of an Indian take away on the breakfast bar.

"Is your American neighbour still in town?"

"I think so. Haven't seen her in a while."

What Waverly meant by 'in a while' was four hours ago. Nicole said she had some business to attend to. Waverly pouted, wanting to know whether that 'business' was called Shae.

"Oh, my God. You're jealous of Shae."

"No, I'm not. It's just. You're doing me now. I just thought perhaps I could be your only business."

Nicole grabbed Waverly, pulling her into a deep kiss.

"Relax. You are. Promise. Trust me?"

"Yes. I trust you."

"Anyway, you're doing Champ."

"True. I prefer doing you. You don't have a beard."

Nicole laughed. Only Waverly could say something that silly and be adorable.

Chrissy left for work Friday morning, slightly hung over from the two bottles of wine they had consumed the night before. Waverly would meet her after work at a bar in the City. She liked going out in London on a Friday evening. Everyone relaxing after a long week. She was tempted to invite Nicole, but she didn't want to mix 'business' with pleasure. Plus, Chrissy might sense the vibe between them, something she didn't want getting back to Joe, or Champ.

She knocked on Nicole's door. No answer. She rang the doorbell. Still no answer. She wasn't sure if she had heard Nicole return yesterday evening. She sent her a text. Her number was stored under a completely different name. Nicole's suggestion, in case someone happened to scroll through her phone and wonder why she had her number. Waverly thought this was genius. She felt like a spy, no a thief with the pretence. She was sure the thrill of not getting caught added to the intensity of their love making. Either that, or they were really, really compatible. Their chemistry was off the chart.

Sitting on the lounger, she gazed over at Nicole's balcony. She would catch a few rays before lunch, clear away last night's meal, get ready for her evening out. She went to lay down on the lounger and immediately had to get up. Nope, too many good memories. She headed for the shower.

The sudden need to release the tension in her body. Where was Nicole?

Waverly had just come out of the shower when her phone vibrated with a message.

Nicole: Sorry angel. Be round in 30

Waverly: Couldn't wait. Had to take a shower...

Nicole: Take one together?

Waverly: HURRY...

"Alexa play: Above and Beyond - Liquid Love."