Chapter 16

Champ was worried. He knew Waverly had been acting differently. He never suspected she would disappear on him. She had changed. He called Chrissy to ask whether she knew anything. She didn't. She was just as surprised as he was. She suggested he call Wynonna to check whether she had gone there. Champ was reluctant initially. He liked Wynonna, but didn't want to worry her, or get her annoyed. He left it a few hours before calling.

"Hi, it's Champ. Listen have you seen Waverly?"

"No, why? Why are you calling me to ask where my sister is?"

"I came home and there's a note from her saying she's sorry, she needs a few days by herself. And, she's not answering her phone. It's not like her."

Wynonna processed the information. She had an idea where Waverly might be.

"Champ, can you check if Nicole is in?"

"What, now?"

"Yes, now."

Champ did as he was told. He knocked twice. No answer. He was still on the phone to Wynonna.

"I don't think she's in."

"Stay there. I'll be over in twenty minutes."

Wynonna ended the call. She wouldn't, would she? she pondered, as she got in a taxi outside her office. She tried her mobile several times. Straight to voicemail. No reply to any of her text messages. Definitely not like Waverly. She normally responded quickly. Entering Champ's flat, she began searching for anything that would help them track down Waverly.

"Where does she keep her passport?"

"What's going on?"

"Where's Waverly's passport?"

"In the bedroom. We have a box for holiday stuff. Why?"

"Show me. Now."

Champ retrieved the box. No passport. In it's place was Waverly's mobile, on silent. Wynonna stood beside him, a worried look on her face.

She scanned the room. It was messy as usual. Waverly wasn't the best at keeping rooms tidy. Wynonna spotted a small suitcase open on the floor, several items of clothing hanging out. The wardrobe door was open. A number of empty hangers where Waverly's clothes should have been.

She looked at Champ. "I don't know where she is. I think I know who she is with. I'm sorry Champ, she's gone with Nicole."

She decided to contact the police. Waverly had disappeared. So had Nicole. Wynonna needed to find her sister.

Champ was sitting on the sofa in a state of shock when two police officers arrived. Wynonna had explained to him what had been happening behind his back. She felt bad. She also felt angry her sister hadn't come clean to him. Most of all she was worried. Worried her sister had done something, gone somewhere with a criminal.

The officers took down details of Waverly. Champ gave them the photo he had of her in his wallet. Wynonna gave them a description of the person she suspected was with Waverly. She was careful not to mention anything about Nicole being an international art thief. She didn't want Waverly to get into trouble. She just wanted her baby sister back. From the circumstances described, the police considered this low priority. They would put out some enquiries.

Wynonna hugged Champ, who was still processing everything that was happening.

The officers fed the details into their database. Nicole's description fitted the profile of the woman who was under surveillance by Dolls. They relayed the information to him. He sat at his desk, turning a pen in his fingers. So, she's made a run for it. With someone else. Excellent.