Chapter 19

Waverly had been moved to a hotel. She didn't know where Nicole was being held. She was alone in New York, without her passport and she was scared. She was, however, free. To a degree. She had been instructed to stay in New York. Where would she go anyway, without Nicole? She hoped Doc would show up. She didn't like him, but at least he would be a face. Even if that face was unfriendly. She considered asking Wynonna to come over, but knew she was busy and after what she had put her through, she didn't want to drag her even more into the mess she was in. She knew if she asked, Wynonna would be on the first flight over. That was comforting.

She spent the following day wandering around New York on her own. Excitement, tinged with sadness. She imagined visiting the places with Nicole.

What a fucking mess.

Dolls entered the visitor's room. Nicole had been brought from her cell, sitting handcuffed once more to a table. She looked drawn. Her first night in a cell had been traumatic. She had always known a day like this might come. She knew she had been lax in her actions involving Waverly. She knew when it was just her she could slip into the night unseen. Her heart had ruled over her head. It had landed her in this situation. She was angry at herself for dragging the one person she cared most about into this mess.

No treasure, no painting, no artefact compared to Waverly. They no longer held any worth to her. She had been brought up to believe - possessions over people. She now realised that was a lie. Her father never meant to instil this belief in her. He simply loved possessions. That was what eventually drove Nicole's mother away. She was another one of his possessions. He had never unlocked his heart for her to enter. He adored Nicole. His fascinating trinket, he would call her. But, his love extended only to her being useful to him, as long as she behaved herself and did what she was told. Nicole's mother saw this. A mother, jealous of her own daughter because of the bond she had with her father. She could have taken Nicole with her. She decided not to. A cruel decision.

Nicole never understood why her mother abandoned her. Discarded her. Made her feel she was no longer of use to her.

Was she not lovable?

Her mother's departure made it easy for Nicole to live a life where she kept everyone locked out. Her own mother had taught her she was unlovable. That is, until Waverly entered her life. Waverly had shown her she was loved, no matter how fucked up her life was.

She was loved for who she was, not what she did.

Dolls read through his notes.

"What do you know about the Russians?"

Nicole looked confused. She expected Dolls to ask her more questions about the thefts she had carried out. Why was he asking about Russians?

"Not much. I know they operate mostly around Europe. I've not worked with any Russians. Why?"

"Your business partner Doc said the Russians were on his back. Would you have any idea why?"

"Nope. Unless he's caught up with them in some way. Maybe his client? I told you, I never knew who I was stealing for. I did the job. Doc did the rest."

Dolls looked at Nicole. He wanted to believe her, but something kept him from trusting her. She would be useful to him, as long as she behaved herself and did what she was told.

"I need you to steal a painting."

"I need to see Waverly. I need to know she's OK. I'm not doing anything for you until I know she's safe."

"She's been released. She's staying in New York. We have her passport. You'll see her when the job is complete."

Nicole looked relieved. Dolls had kept his side of the deal. Perhaps she could trust him.

"Nicole, I need to be able to trust you. I need to know you'll do what we tell you to do. Waverly is my insurance policy."

Doc couldn't wait any longer. The good guys weren't coming to rescue him. He would have to sort this out on his own. He made peace with the fact he might not get out of Italy alive. He couldn't stay in a hotel room indefinitely. If he could get to Mexico, he might have a chance. It was now or never. He booked a ticket on the next flight out. He had four hours to kill. It would be safer for him in the airport. Less likely to be snatched. Less likely someone would shoot him with all the crowds. Plus, officers carried guns in the airport.

He packed his bag. Called reception to book him a taxi. All he needed to do was leave the hotel, get in the taxi, head to the airport.

He opened the door, ready to move his case out. A man was casually walking down the corridor. He didn't look like a tourist. He definitely didn't look like someone who worked at the hotel. He looked exactly like a contract killer. Doc closed the door. They had found him. Someone in the hotel must have snitched on him. Bastards, he thought. Who can you trust? He was too high up to leave by the window. He couldn't shoot his way out of the situation.

He was trapped.

There was a knock on his door. Doc was confused. A polite contract killer. Knocks before killing. He scanned the room looking for something heavy. If he was going to go, he would go fighting. He braced himself. The guy on the other side of the door had the advantage. A gun to be precise. He had the base of a lamp. Not exactly a fair fight, but that was all the room offered.

He swung open the door, launching at the guy. Wait, no gun. Where's the guy's gun?

The man put his hands up to prevent being hit by the lamp, sending Doc crashing into the wall.

"MI6. Here to get you to the safe house. Nearly got me with that."

Doc looked very relieved. The good guys had got to him first.