Chapter 14

Jeremy had not been able to get a clear image of Nicole's face from security footage. It didn't matter. Dolls had someone on which to focus his efforts. Major museums and galleries around the world were alerted to Nicole's profile. From now on, staff and guards would be on the lookout for a tall red-haired woman, mid-twenties, possibly Russian.

They were instructed not to approach, simply observe her movements. Dolls wanted to see this woman in action. This was a waiting game for when Nicole made her next move. He was certain she would. Afterall, she had stolen several paintings. This wasn't a one off activity.

She was a serial thief.

Doc delivered the Monet to his client. He wired Nicole's share of the money to her, with a message that he had another request from his regular client. He would be back in London tomorrow afternoon to go through the details. A small gold trinket box, also at the Victoria and Albert museum had caught the attention of his client this time. He was very pleased with the snuff box. This new piece would sit nicely in his secret room of pleasure.

One more piece. That's all. A repeat of her performance with the snuff box. Slightly more risky to obtain, given she had taken one piece already from the museum. Nicole considered the risk manageable. She calculated they didn't know it was her who took the other piece. She knew the layout, the movement of the guards. She didn't need to case the museum again. She could simply walk in, take the piece, walk out.

Doc needed the box within two days. That would give Nicole just enough time to acquire before leaving London. Doc considered New York would be a good next stop for her. He had several clients lined up for artwork on display in the city.

Entering the V&A museum, Nicole perused the exhibitions once more before heading to the area where the box was located. The guard on the front door recognised her. She fitted the description of the person Dolls had circulated. The guard entered the viewing room for the museum's security cameras. Another guard was eating his lunch at the desk.

"John, I think that woman is in the museum. Can you move the cameras to pick her up?"

The guard put down his sandwich. They scanned the bank of screens in front of them.

"There, entering the Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Collection. Keep that camera on her."

Nicole hovered around the case where the box was located. She scanned the room for the position of the guard, the movement of visitors. She spotted her moment, as the guard left the room and a group of visitors moved to another display cabinet. The trinket box was extracted within seconds. Nicole didn't bother leaving her usual calling card. She left the building.

All her movements in the museum had been captured on the security cameras.

Dolls had his woman.

It was now a matter of tracking her through London. He alerted his counterparts in the Metropolitan Police to keep a watch for her. She wasn't high priority for them. It would take some time for Dolls' request to be actioned. She was now in the system. Eventually, she would be picked up on a security camera somewhere in London.

Cameras captured her outside Fulham Broadway underground station. Again, walking towards Chelsea Waterfront, finally outside the apartment block. Dolls had a location for her. He didn't want to arrest her. He wanted to see her face to face. Get a sense of who she was.

His Range Rover was parked early the next morning outside the apartment block. He and Jeremy were waiting. The plan was to watch for Nicole leaving the building and wait for her return. Jeremy would photograph her, while Dolls struck up a conversation, enough to get her to say something. He needed to hear her. He needed to know if she was Russian.

They spotted Nicole leaving just after 10am, on route to give Doc the box. She returned shortly before midday. Jeremy had dozed off, earning an elbow from Dolls. Camera at the ready, Dolls made his way to the entrance. As Nicole approached, he pretended to be looking at a map of the area.

"Sorry, I've just moved in. Can you tell me which way to the station?"

Nicole stopped, scanning Dolls. She smiled, looking down at the map with him.

"It's not too far. About two minutes on foot."

Dolls thanked her, holding the door for her as she entered the apartment block.

Returning the car, he grinned at Jeremy.

"She's American."

Nicole entered her apartment in a panic. Her bags had been packed for a few days. All she needed to do was retrieve the items from the safe. She hammered on Waverly's door.

"Waverly we need to go right now. We don't have much time. Take only a few items and your passport. I'll get you more clothes, I promise. Just hurry.

Waverly could see the panic in Nicole's eyes. She was really scared. Is this what it was going to be like being with Nicole? That constant feeling of being on the edge, not quite knowing if she, if they were about to be caught.

"What's wrong? What's happened?"

"I've been spotted. A guy downstairs asked me directions to the station. Pointed to a map."

"Maybe he was lost?"

Nicole gave Waverly a look that said don't be so naïve.

"Waverly, he had the wrong map for the area. He wanted me to know he's onto me."

Waverly desperately wanted to talk to Wynonna, to have her reassurance. She couldn't. She was with Nicole now. She hadn't even had time to talk to Champ. She left him a note, saying she was sorry. She needed space. She'd call him in a few days.

A taxi arrived fifteen minutes later. Nicole scanned the area outside the apartment before ushering Waverly into the back, the driver putting their suitcases in the boot. Dolls and Jeremy had left. Dolls knew he would spook Nicole if he was seen sitting outside her apartment in a car. He didn't want to arrest her just yet. He had another plan. He was happy to let her run, if she chose to.

She would turn up somewhere.

He knew who she was.

He would be ready.