2

He screamed for help

He screamed for help. His desperate cries and wails echoing across the sleeping forest only for it to come to no avail. The moon, which was shining brighter than ever of all nights, seemed to be mocking him as it smiled brightly back at him.

Never mind that. Beomgyu felt too overwhelmed to give room for frustration. Crimson red liquid dyed his hands as he clutched the princess' body tighter. Anxiously, his eyes roved over her delicate, porcelain face: her lips were losing their colour as he could see her clinging onto every last will to live from the look in her eyes.

Tears were running down his face as Beomgyu held her cold body closer to his own. The hunters must've run away, leaving them in the middle of the woods with an arrow straight through his princess' heart.

If only—if only he had come sooner.

"I'm so sorry—" the angel spoke, breathless, the pain he felt unfathomable and heavy on his chest.

"You only kept your word, don't feel so sad," Nari smiled weakly, the twinkle in her eyes still present through her weakened state. "Remember what you said under the tangerine tree? How every living soul reincarnates."

Beomgyu said nothing as he studied her face, his heartbeat seeming to have slowed and his nerves calmed, Nari's voice like a drug to his anxiousness.

"Please, let us meet in another life. Can't you promise me that?"

Silence fell over the two as Beomgyu stared into her beautiful brown eyes, knowing that his answer would be the last thing she'd ever hear. It will seal her death. Be it a peaceful or regretful one.

"I promise," he vowed.

A smile crept on her face as her eyelids fell slowly. The princess closed her eyes for the last time as she took her final breath before leaving this earth as a soul, nothing but a body, a shell of the life she had lived, left behind.

Beomgyu wept in the night, his wails echoing across the entire woods. He sat there, crying loudly as he gasped heavily for air in between his sobs. For how long it would take for her to meet him again, he didn't know.

His crying softened as the angel mustered the strength to look at the princess' body for the last time, her face seeming to be at peace. Beomgyu felt his heart lighten at the sight of his princess finally being able to rest and escape from this suffocating world.

He took her hand as he planted a soft kiss on it. A single tear escaped the corner of his eye.

Just then, a rustle came from a nearby bush, wrenching Beomgyu awake from his trance as he looked around frantically.

"Who's there!" He called out, knowing he should stand up to brace himself. But a part of him stayed on the ground, not so ready to part with his princess so soon.