8

The moon glistened like the eyes of a nightingale in the starry night sky

The moon glistened like the eyes of a nightingale in the starry night sky. There wasn't a single cloud in the vast midnight blue canvas, allowing the stars to shine amidst the veil of darkness. By the palace's balcony, Princess Nari stood alone, allowing her thoughts to roam freely with the wind.

Footsteps approached her from behind. She didn't expect anyone to find her here, considering how her father wouldn't hear of her being out of bed. Half-expecting for it to be one of the maids, she turned around only to find herself face-to-face with Choi Beomgyu.

The latter bowed down before wanting to walk away

"Wait!" The princess called out. Beomgyu turned around slowly. "Why don't you stay with me for a while? It's lonely," she said, motioning for him to come forward.

The guard did as he was told as he stood by the princess's side, the both of them gazing at the same night sky. J

ust when Beomgyu was about to speak, a mew came from behind them as a tabby cat treaded out of the darkness. Beomgyu gave a nervous jump as it sashayed towards them, its tail clinging around his leg as Nari gave a light-hearted laugh by his uneasiness.

"Scared of cats?" She asked, bending down as she gave the feline a stroke along its back.

"No, just caught by surprise," he breathed, bending down.

"It's a stray that often visits me in the palace. I called it Hobak." The princess scratched its chin as it purred in response, as if it agreed to her statement.

Beomgyu extended a hand too, but just before it could land on its fur, the cat stepped backwards before scurrying back inside.

"Must not like me," Beomgyu shrugged, earning another laugh from Nari.

After a long moment of silence, Beomgyu was the first to break it. "Why did you pick me back there? In the royal court," he asked.

The princess turned to him, intrigued by his sudden inquiry. "For your honesty," she answered simply, her gaze returning to the night sky, implying that it was all she had to say.

"But it could also mean that I can let you die anytime. Meaning that if I were to choose between yours or my own life to save, I would pick the latter. Even after knowing that, you still picked me. Why?"

"I know," the princess said calmly, "but I'd rather hear the truth than to believe a lie."

Beomgyu went silent for a few moments, allowing her words to sink in. "Is that all?"

"You seemed promising," Nari smiled delicately, the purity of her smile resembling a flower's, like a mirror to her soul.

Beomgyu lost himself in that smile for a few moments before reaffirming his ground once more. "I'm not an object—none of the men in the court just now were either to be labelled as 'promising' or not," he said brusquely.