4

The sudden request of her father, the Emperor at the time, wanting her presence at the royal court seemed off, considering how he hadn't given her any prior notices

The sudden request of her father, the Emperor at the time, wanting her presence at the royal court seemed off, considering how he hadn't given her any prior notices. With her servants following after her, Nari entered the room to see her father seated on the throne.

"Is there a reason you called me here, father?" She asked.

"Three men will be arriving in a few moments, each given the offer to be your guard."

"Guard?" Princess Nari scoffed. "Isn't there already enough in the palace? And why must I be here for this?" She asked, finding what seemed to be her father's best interest daft and pointless.

"You will be picking your guard," her father answered shortly.

The princess gaped at him, but she knew better than to question his orders. With defeat, she sat on the throne next to her father's. Smaller, but still grand, showing her significance in the royal family.

The gates creaked open as tree men entered the room. They all looked the same from afar. All of them dressed in royal guard uniforms. But there was one in particular that stood out from the rest; she couldn't tell why.

He lifted his head, his brown eyes piercing back at the princess. No, there were no emotions in his stare; it was simply empty, like the kinds where people would look at you without much intent. She felt her body electrify under his gaze as she sat up straighter, feeling much more awake.

"Presenting, Oh Jookee, Joon Yong Suk, and Choi Beomgyu," announced the courtier in a loud voice, naming the men from her left to the right.

"I only ask one question," said the Emperor, "my daughter doesn't know how to swim. Say she drowns in a river with you in it. Would you choose to save her or save yourself?"

Nari felt her mind refresh, keen to hear the young men's response. Mostly Choi Beomgyu's. Even though the other two haven't disputed their cause, she somehow felt connected to him, as if there was an invisible force drawing her towards the latter as she couldn't bring her gaze away from his set eyes.

Jookee and Yong Suk answered what she and the emperor would hear: "yes, because I am her guard, and I swear to protect her with my life."

Yet, for some reason, she felt bore at those answers. So curated, so faked, as if they are scripts forced to read aloud for the sake of pleasing the emperor. She turned to her father, who was nodding his head in satisfaction, as if he was actually believing their lies.

Then came Choi Beomgyu's turn.

"No," the young man answered bluntly. "If you would like my honest answer, then it would be a no."

The emperor looked enraged and baffled at the same time, so did the courtier. The straightforwardness of Beomgyu's answer had definitely set off a change in the room's atmosphere.