11

Tears were falling from her eyes as she ran without a particular destination in her head, her legs having a mind of their own as Bora rushed out of the palace, her broken heart still somehow managing to pump blood

Near the palace, there was a small lake. And so she arrived there as she settled on a flat rock, her eyes still filled with tears. Nostalgia and memories fed her mind. The princess remembered coming here with Nari when they were younger as they would spend hours playing in this haven.

Nari. The name of the person she once looked up to and considered her best friend, now nothing more than a fresh stab of betrayal.

Envy and jealously fueled her hatred and tears as Bora cried her heart out, unable to control the wishes of her aching heart.

Nari had everything. She was about to be the queen upon wedding a man as she'd be loved and lavished dearly in her reign. Every family dinner her father would host, Nari would be the topic of the conversation. Her relatives bathed her in compliments and praises while she remained invisible.

Nari has looks. Nari has the brains and beauty. Nari has the person she has been admiring from afar for a very long time.

Beomgyu.

Behind the pillar, Bora was secretly watching her from afar on the day Nari picked her guard in the royal court. And just like her sister, Bora had her eyes on Beomgyu. Charming and honest, who wouldn't fall for him at first sight?

But unlike the older, Bora was the one left alone.

Her heart swelled with revulsion towards Nari as Bora cried harder, already imagine her sister and her love cosying together in the garden. The thought of that made her feel sick. Hot tears fell onto her tear-stained cheeks, her heart heavy with resent.

Then she unleashed a scream, so loud it seemed to have shaken the entire forest. A murder of crows left a tree nearby, scared of her presence. Bora could feel the weight on her shoulders lighten a little, but her heart said otherwise.

She didn't feel any better after screaming.

Feet against crushed leaves echoed behind her as she turned around to see her father. The older approached his daughter as he settled next to her. "Tell me, what's bothering you so much, my daffodil," he said softly.

Daffodil. A nickname her father gave her, representing a flower that symbolised faith and hope, notable for its vibrancy. Bora didn't feel very faithful or happy at that moment.

"Father, say I have this friend. She is everything I want to be. Smart, pretty, kind."

"My princess, you are all of those too," the emperor said. Bora shook her head.

"My looks don't matter. Because in the end, she gets everything, and I get nothing. She gets praised every minute of the day. She is loved by everyone else more than I am. The person I'm in love with loves her, father, not me."