13

"Taehyun-ah, do you want to play a game?" Doyoung asked the younger

"A game?" Young Taehyun repeated, looking up to the boy, his eyes shining with excitement.

"Hide-and-seek, what do you think? Let's start with you hiding, and I'll look for you, okay?"

"But mom and dad said they would be coming back soon," Taehyun replied.

"Aish, a short game won't hurt. I know you feel bored after waiting here," his older brother reasoned as he took the younger by the hand to a playground nearby. "I'll stand here and count to ten. Then I'll come looking for you."

"But—"

Doyoung turned around as he faced the wall with his hands placed over his eyes. "10...9..."

His excitement at the moment pushed out any rational reasons to not play as Taehyun ran and crouched behind a seesaw, his heart thumping loudly against his chest. A game won't do any harm. Plus, it was rare to see Doyoung, his aloof and distant brother, want to play a game with him.

"1...0... Ready or not! Here I come!" He heard his brother call out.

Taehyun squeezed in his corner tighter with his eyes shut firmly.

"Found you!"

Opening his eyes, Taehyun looked up to see the older standing in front of him. Was his hiding spot that easy to find? That was what he thought at the time. Nothing more than that. And a part of him wished they'd end the game there.

"You're so good at seeking," he smiled, his eyes forming crescents at the older in an attempt to be nice to his older brother—since they were in a good mood, he might as well do his best to keep it that way.

"Now it's your turn! You count to 100, and I'll go hide," Doyoung said, bringing Taehyun to the same corner as he did to count.

"100? But you counted to 10 only," Taehyun said.

"It'll be more fun if you counted to 100, wouldn't it? Then you can spend more time looking for me."

Only being a child at the time, Taehyun thought his older brother always knew better than he did. And so, like a fool, he listened as Taehyun turned around and started counting.

"1...2...3...."

With his eyes still closed and his mind still counting, the sound of his brother's heavy footsteps slowly moved away without him even realising. The thuds of his footsteps getting softer and softer until Taehyun could no longer hear them.

And by the time he had counted to 100, his brother was already gone.