chapt 2 • Behave

The entire car ride here, Grandma had been reciting bible verse to me

I was close to jumping out of this moving car.

Even on the plane, she couldn't stop speaking about how perfect Hartford would be for me.

I had gotten up to get away from her and ended up in the back storage with the hot co-pilot.

"Carter is a friend of mine, he is also the Dean of Hartford. He's aware of your mother and aware of your arrival and that.. thing you have" I roll my eyes and look out the window.

She couldn't even say nymphomania, as if it were poison in her mouth.

"Behave here Honey. God will only forgive those who have sinned and are willing to follow through his path" she speaks placing a copy of her own small bible on my lap.

The sheer black car came to a stop at the prestigious, golden gates. Opening upon our arrival, I took a look at the surroundings of the academy.

The roofs were castle like, two tall buildings surrounded the short one painted white like December snow.

Large pillars in front along with dark black windows shielding the outside eye from the inside. The sophisticated look of the school matched exactly what the magazines had said about this place.

The door opened for me and I was met with a woman with auburn hair and a black portfolio containing my information inside. She scanned me from head to toe carefully before releasing a small "hmph".

Her black pumps were heavy on the concrete floor. Then a man next to her only seemed to stare at me directly, with a burning annoyance at my presence and a smile at Grandma's.

"Carter" she greeted while my bags were being placed on the side of me.

Carter was a tall man, slick back brown hair with a couple of silver strands. Glasses hiding dark, angry eyes and wrinkles decorating his forehead along with the side of his lips.

He wore a cross necklace on his neck, dressed in a Pope like suit. He stepped down and took my Grandmother's hand in his. "Lovely to see you again"

"Carter, Hartford has never looked better" she happily says.

His eyes switched back to me, he stared at me as if he was looking at my mother all over again.

"You even share her eyes" He speaks about my Heterochromia.

"She is my mother" I said sarcastically, eliciting a shameful nod from Grandma and a small smile from Carter.