31

ONE YEAR LATER

ONE YEAR LATER

"Come on, Moni. So where are you taking me?" Letty asks from the passenger seat as Domonique drives along a road in the desert.
"They say an open road helps you think about where you've been, where you're going," Domonique answer her as she looks over at Letty with a smile. "So you don't remember any of this yet?"
"That's not fair. You know I don't," Letty tells her causing Domonique to let out a sad sigh. "So what is it exactly that you're trying to show me?"
"That," Domonique says as she points to the numerous tents and cars in front of them with races going on. "Race wars."
"We used to come here?" Letty asks her with an excited smile.
"Come here?" Domonique asks her back with a smirk. "We invented it."

Letty looks around in amazement before turning to Domonique with an excited smile as Domonique drives through the crowds. Domonique pulls up near the starting line before letting Letty get into the driver's seat. Domonique looks over at the other driver as the driver revs his engine.
"Keep it under 9,000 RPMs," Domonique says as she leans in the window. "Kid's gonna fry his pistons after the first 200."
"You know that's not my style. I gotta ride or die, right?" Letty says as she glances at the other driver.
"How about you just ride on this one?" Domonique asks her as a woman walks between the cars. The woman motions for both drivers to pull to the starting line.
"Are you ready?" The woman asks as she points to the other driver before she points at Letty. "I know you're ready." Letty revs the engine as the woman waves flags in the air. "Go!" The woman drops her arms as the drivers take off. Letty stays right beside the other driver as she watches her RPMs to make sure she doesn't go over 9,000. The driver's pistons fry causing him to slow down before Letty wins the race. Letty smiles and shakes her head as she realizes that Domonique was right. Letty is surrounded by people congratulating her as she gets out of the car.
"Hey! That's the girl I heard so much about," A woman says as she shakes hands with Letty. "Where you been at, ghost girl?" The crowd starts to cheer as 'ghost girl' repeats in Letty's head before she gets a flash of the wreck. Letty gets a flash of her in a hospital before someone picks her up from behind. Letty gets a flash of the explosion as she is set down before she instinctively turns and punches the man in the face.
"Letty, what the hell?" Hector, the man, asks her as he holds his busted lip. Domonique tries to get to Letty before she gets into the car and drives off. "Damn dawg! That girl still got that swing, homie."
"You never could take a punch," Domonique tells Hector with a slight smile as she worries about Letty.
"Right, right," Hector says with a chuckle as he hugs Domonique. "Hey, girl. I'm glad you're back, girl. It's good to see you!"
"Good to see you, Hector," Domonique says as she watches Letty disappear.

Domonique is out looking for Letty, when she finds Letty in the cemetery where Letty's headstone is.
"First time I saw this, I thought it was kind of funny," Letty says as she hears Domonique walking up behind her. "I guess now the joke's on me." Letty turns to Domonique, who rests a sledge hammer on her shoulder. "What are you doing?"
"What we should've done a long time ago," Domonique answers her as she walks towards the headstone.
"Stop it!" Letty yells as she stops Domonique from smashing the headstone. "Look at it. It's the truth. That's the date that I lost my memory. That's the date that Letty died and I was born."
"No. You never died," Domonique says as she looks at her.
"Do you know how hard it is for me when you look at me and you see me through 15 years of memories?" Letty asks her as she tries not to cry. "Every crazy beautiful moment we've ever had. I see it in your eyes. I can't give that to you. I got nothing."
"You got me," Domonique tells her as she also tries not to cry.
"And you've got only a piece of me," Letty says as she fights back tears. "I have to find myself. For me." Letty pulls Domonique into a hug. "Goodbye, Moni." Letty walks away leaving Domonique standing there as she finally lets the tears fall.