Chapter Twenty-Eight

B E L L A M Y

The little exchange between Noah and Sebastian was still on my mind the next morning, and when I thought back to the way Noah had gone all protective on me, butterflies erupted in my stomach once again.

I rolled over in bed, smiling at the man who was laying next to me, snoring slightly. He looked so peaceful and calm—not necessarily words I used often to describe him.

He had really shown me a different side of him these last couple of weeks, or maybe he had just put on a mask before.

He was caring and kind, treating me like a princess every day. I still couldn't quite believe it, but I was hoping I would never wake from this dream.

I wanted to do something for him. Maybe something sexual now, and romantic later.

"Noah," I said softly, trying to wake him up. I knew better than to touch him when he wasn't expecting it, so I kept my distance.

He groaned and rolled onto his back, slowly opening one eye.

"Good morning," he said, his voice hoarse with sleep and his lips barely moving.

I chuckled, climbing on top of him.

"You know what I've realized?" I asked, brushing a strand of dark hair from Noah's forehead.

"What?"

"We never do oral." I pecked him on the lips, but before I could do anything else, Noah lifted me off of him and let me fall back on the sheets beside him.

He quickly stood up, running his hands over his face.

"Hey." I frowned, propping up on my elbows to look at him.

"We don't need to," he replied, keeping his back to me as he pulled a shirt over his head.

I pouted at the now covered tattoos, and sighed, standing from the bed. "But I want to," I purred, placing my hands on his shoulders.

He flinched, shrugging my hands off as he turned. "Drop it."

The anger in his tone startled me, and I felt embarrassed.

I realized I was falling in love with someone I barely knew.

"Why don't you talk to me?" I questioned, taking a seat at the foot of the bed as Noah continued to dress himself.

"Drop it, Bella."

My heart dropped at the use of my nickname, and I looked at the floor. "I just want to know the person I give my heart to."

I mumbled that last bit, but Noah heard me crystal clear.

He let out a long breath, crouching down in front of me. He tilted my chin up and brushed his thumb over my cheek as he looked at me.

"But you don't have to know the bad stuff? It's in the past." He swallowed hard after he spoke, showing me that for him, it was still very much in the present. Whatever was hunting him.

"Noah..." I cupped his face in my hands, trying to make him feel safe and comfortable. "Please stop running from your feelings. It's okay."