Chapter 10

It's been a week, we've been laying low. Valentina keeps telling me that nobody knows we're here, but something keeps telling me she's lying. Nick keeps saying I have no reason not to trust her, but all I've done when I was younger was trust people. Now look at me.

Madalyn and Kassie are here, I still have questions for Madalyn. Since Oliver is getting his sister back they're probably going to leave, I don't know what Nick and I are going to do after.

I get off the bed and walk across the hall to the bathroom carrying a pair of clothes. I turn the shower on and wait for it to heat up, once it does I slip off my clothes and get in. The hot water runs through my hair and down my back.

Maybe I can let my guard down just this once and trust Val. I finish showering and turn off the shower. I get out drying my body off and then slipping on clothes that consist of all black. To be honest, I don't wear anything but black, I just feel it keeps me hidden and everything goes with it. I finish up and brush my teeth, feeling fresh.

"Are you done in there?" A raspy voice asks from outside the bathroom.

"Yeah, one second," I reply back.

I grab my other clothes off the floor and open the door.

I pause, "Oh, uh, Kassie right?"

She stares at me blankly, "Yeah, and you're Mallory right? The assassin?"

"Um, yes."

This conversation is awkward, and I don't do awkward.

"Well can I get through?"

"Oh right," I move out of her way, going back to my room.

I leave my clothes on the dresser and head downstairs. Everyone is sitting on the couch, there's an open space in between Oliver and Madalyn. I sit there.

"You know, you shouldn't stare at people," Oliver whispers in my ear.

I turn my head towards him, "I'm not staring at her, I'm just... curious."

"About what?"

I shake my head, "nothing."

Everything is weird, today feels off and I can't explain it.

"Nick, can I talk to you?" Everyone's heads turn towards me.

"Uh yeah sure," he hesitated.

I get off the couch and gesture for him to follow me, everyone else continues with their conversation.

"What's up?" Nick questions.

I lower my voice, "Something feels off about today."

"Like what?" He crosses his arms.

"I don't know, I just- you know that feeling you get when something bad is going to happen? That's how I feel."

He sighs, "You're just paranoid, maybe you should go back upstairs and take a nap."

Nick walks away before I can finish talking, rude. Maybe he's right, but every time I'm paranoid I'm right, whatever, and to think about it, I am still pretty tired, so maybe a nap won't hurt.

I go back upstairs into my room and shut the door. I plop down on my bed and let out a big sign. I slowly start dozing off.

***

I sit up on my bed after waking up from my nap, I look at the phone that Valentina got and it's 7:42pm. Jeez, I didn't know I slept that long.

I walk downstairs and everyone is in the kitchen.