Chapter 11

That was the first time I'd seen Mallory in five years

   That was the first time I'd seen Mallory in five years. I didn't think the mission would end with one of us dead. I don't know what happened since I was gone, the last time I saw Mallory it was her 12th birthday and she loved training and being with her dad, I guess things changed.

If I knew Mallory and her siblings wouldn't come willingly I would have prepared more, Mr.Kane didn't tell us shit but the location and to bring back his three kids then showed us a picture of them. Now that we're going back without any of them, and our team leader is dead, he's not going to be happy.

Sitting in the back of the Van with Mason's cold body is hell, I've known him for years, and just like that, he's gone.

"We should have just used more force," Dallas scolded.

She's the youngest on our team being sixteen, but she acts like a mom. This is only her third mission.

Ryland takes a deep breath, "I agree."

"We could have killed the other three randoms wit-"

Jackson interrupts, "Shut up Dallas. Yeah, we could have killed the other three people but we didn't. So stop fucking talking about what we should have done and focus on what we're going to do when we see Tristan."

"I'm actually tired of you guys cutting me off, you're the second oldest next to Mason so you're the new team leader. You also said you'd handle it, so fucking handle it Jackson."

Ryland and I look at each other and raise our brows. I look back at Mason, I will get Mallory back for this. I can't kill her because her dad will kill me, but I will make her life a living hell.

***

We arrive at Mr.Kane's building pulling into the parking garage. Jackson gets out of the van telling two security guards to come over. Ryland and I slid open the van door. The two security guards waiting in front.

"Get his body, and bring him to the morgue," I voiced.

They nod.

The rest of us head up the elevator in silence.

"You guys can head to your rooms, I'll head to Tristen's office," Jackson breathed.

He was nervous, and I don't blame him. If Mr.Kane puts you on a mission you're never supposed to fail it, ever.

I head to my room with Ryland following. I open my room door and slam it in his face, instead of him getting the hint, he comes in anyways.

I sigh, "What Ryland."

"How'd you know them?"

I sit on my bed.

"I met them when I was 10, but only Mallory and Nicholas, not the other one Mr.Kane showed us."

"Is that it? They looked...shocked when they saw you." Ryland mumbled.

"Well, that was the first time I've seen them in five years."

"Why so long?"

"Because shit happens Ryland, now get out."

I push him out of the room, and he doesn't come back in.

***

I feel people tugging on me which pulls me out of my sleep, my vision still a little blurry. The silhouette of two guys lifting me up by my arms.

"Get up and walk, Mr.Kane wants to speak with you," one of them says.

Shit.

"Alright get off of me, I can walk myself."

They let go of me, one man walks behind me the other in front. They lead me to Mr.Kane's office, and I walk in by myself.

As I enter I see a beat-up Jackson to my right, and to my left, I see Dallas and Ryland completely fine.

"You wanted to see me," I stood in between the three of them.

Mr.Kane spins in his chair facing me.

Does he always have to be dramatic?

"You all failed," he glares at us. "You would think putting your daughter's old best friend and his friends on the job to retrieve her and her siblings would work," he scoffs.

I finally let out a breath not realizing I was holding one in, "I know sir, we—," he interrupts me.

"I didn't ask you to speak, I fairly don't give a shit about what you have to say until I have my children in front of me, so I want all of you to go back," he stands up with a slight smirk, "this time with more people, you will divide my children and the people they're within two separate vans, now with that being said everyone else is waiting in the parking garage, I expected everyone back in an hour."

The end of this chapter was rewritten as well as all of chapter 12.