Chapter 38

When the group of people had reached Homura's base and stood outside the bar's entrance steps, Kaiyo couldn't help the anxiety building in her. The cold chilly air made it worse, growing goosebumps on her arms.

Genji's grip on her right wrist was still there, although it wasn't as tight as before. It was lightly wrapped around her wrist. She gave up on pulling her hand away. Every time she did so, he would grab and tug on her hand the split second she pulls her hand back; as if his hand has its own awareness.

"Nervous?"

Genji had leaned down towards her and whispered by her ear, which caused her to jerk her head away from the sudden interference of space. She didn't reply back; only shooting a dark glare towards him as her answer.

Genji oddly find it humorous and light-heartedly grinned. Kaiyo could only glance up at him in utter confusion that he was grinning as he straightened himself when Kusanagi rang the doorbell and knocked on the doors.

The doors opened and Genji greeted the person with a cheerful tone.

When Kusanagi and Yata stepped aside and ultimately showing Genji and her who stood by her side, Kaiyo, who was still looking upwards, immediately made eye contact with the eyes that were looking down at them from above due to the height difference caused by the stairs.

The person who answered the door was—horrifyingly to Kaiyo—Mikoto.

Her eyes trembled from apprehension of the coming future. She repeatedly clenched and unclenched her left hand to ease her trembling wits.

She could see a turmoil of emotions running in his eyes.

--Shock, unrest, doubt, anxiety and most of all suspicion.

The last visible reaction made her tense her shoulders as fear crept into her chest. She couldn't explain it, but she didn't want him, him out of the people around her now, to feel that way towards her.

--It's unsettling.

Kusanagi fretted internally for a while before he stepped forward and pressed a hand to Mikoto's shoulder, whispering to him what had transpired when they met to bring them over to the bar, summarising them as exactly: 'Kaiyo-chan was forcibly brought over by Genji.'

Mikoto's eyes widened from surprise before he shot a glare towards Genji, who received his glare with a smile on his face. "I thought she was a friend of yours? So I brought your friend over to this celebration."

'It's his whims.' Kaiyo wanted to say that. But that would explicitly tell them that she knew Genji. She could only inwardly curse in her mind.

Mikoto's glare hardened. "It isn't something to involve outsiders."

"Outsiders? But she wouldn't be considered one if she knew who you guys are—"

"Please don't fight..." Kaiyo interrupted Genji through his speech. Without needing to see the particle-like beings, Kaiyo could feel the slight increase in pressure around Mikoto. She cut in so as to dissolve the tense atmosphere between the two groups. She could also feel the people under Genji who stood behind them were slowly getting riled up. Looking up at Mikoto, Kaiyo repeated her words, "This meeting is important right? So please don't fight outside here... Let's head in and start. I won't ever reveal what is being talked inside, outside of the bar."

Kaiyo looked up at Mikoto. The latter could see the fear swimming in her eyes despite the situation she was in. But unfortunately, he misunderstood the fear, thinking that it was because she was afraid of Genji. But in reality, Kaiyo was actually afraid of a fight brewing between the two groups right then.