seventeen.

Y/N sat in a booth reading a new novel Bellatrix sent her over the summer break, Pansy was sitting opposite Y/N drawing as they both sat in silence on the way back to Hogwarts. A lot had happened during the end of their fourth year, Professor Moody ran away and left with no trace and he was for sure not coming back. Y/N spent more of her break with Pansy and her family as her and Draco had a big fight. They always had fights as any normal couple did but this fight was a little different, and they both didn't want to see each other anymore, breaking up in front of one of the house elves who notified Lucius that Y/N was crying in the gardens. Y/N was heart broken but Pansy made her feel a bit better with her mothers chicken and mushroom pie she was in love with. Severus spent time with Lucius talking a lot about the Riddle brothers, they came out of hiding and were joining Hogwarts again for the year.

Pansy looked up to find Y/N reading her book silently, "you'll be fine Y/N" Pansy said as Y/N looked up and smiled briefly at her friend. "I hope I will" Y/N said as she looked back down on the page she kept reading over and over again. "The Riddle brothers will keep your mind away from love for a while" Pansy said as she threw a chocolate frog at the girl, "the Riddle brothers are trouble" Y/N said towards Pansy who shrugged her shoulders. "They'll take your mind off Draco for a while until you feel better" Pansy said as she started drawing again making Y/N look out of the window remembering the words Draco had said to her.

'I don't want to hear your lame excuse Y/N, get out of my house if you are just going to yell out me, I don't want to see you again, I'm done with you, we're over'

Draco didn't mean anything of what he said, he sat opposite Blaise who was eating and reading the Daily Prophet. "Draco you'll be fine" Blaise said as he noticed that Draco was looking a bit more sadder than usual, Blaise had stayed at the Malfoy Manor after Y/N left to keep Draco company. "I hope I will" Draco said and Blaise shook his head, "you can bully the Riddle boys for coming back" Blaise said as he turned a page. "The Riddles are trouble" Draco said towards Blaise who shrugged his shoulders, "they'll take your mind off Y/N for a while until you feel better at least" Blaise said reading the paper again making Draco look out of the window remembering the words Y/N had said to him.

'Let me explain, I'm not yelling at you, really Draco? That's your solution to this fight? You're done with us? Fuck you Draco, I hope you know that this is just dumb'

Y/N walked into the great hall and followed Pansy to the Slytherin table, she noticed Draco sitting with Crabbe, Goyle and Blaise. She sat next to Pansy as Pansy sat next to Crabbe, Y/N kept her head down as she didn't want to draw any attention to herself but Hermione shouted Y/N's name gaining Draco's attention. "Rumour has it that there is another Dark Arts teacher" Hermione said, "a women this time" Ron added and Y/N just nodded as she smiled weakly at the two before she put her head back down, making Hermione feel bad for the girl.

Dumbledore welcomed everyone back for another year before introducing a new member of staff, Hermione and Ron were correct. "Dolores Umbridge will be the new Professor for Defence of Dark Arts" Dumbledore said as whispers were heard around the great hall. "New professor every year" Y/N whispered and Pansy nodded, "it's like the position is cursed or something" Y/N continued as she looked towards Draco who had his head down. After the first year students were sorted into their houses food appeared in front of everyone as cheers were heard across the hall before the Riddle brothers walked in sitting opposite Y/N and next to Goyle. "Missed us?" Mattheo said as Pansy smiled towards them, "I'm not hungry" Y/N said as she stood up and walked out of the great hall and down onto one of the open windows in the hallway, sitting and looking out at the dark sky.

It was silent before someone joined her, she looked up at the figure to see Mattheo, "you okay?" Mattheo asked. "I hope my question didn't offend you, I know it's hard to see us after we went into hiding for a year and a bit" Mattheo continued and Y/N looked at him as he sat in front of her. "It's not that" Y/N said and pulled her knees to her chest, "me and Draco broke up over the summer break and it's just hard to be around him at the moment" Y/N said as a tear fell down her cheek. Mattheo felt for the girl, "I'm sorry to hear that" Mattheo said and held onto Y/N's hand as she looked down at their joined hands. "It's fine, I guess we were just not meant to be" Y/N said as she noticed a cut on Mattheo's knuckle, "what happened?" she asked and Mattheo smiled down at his hand before pulling it away. "While we were in hiding me and Tom got bored, so we started play fighting with swords that we found in the basement and he accidentally cut me" Mattheo said. "Basement?" Y/N asked, "yeah we went to live with a muggle family" Mattheo said, "our mother" he continued and Y/N felt happy for the boys.