Prologue

What could possibly go wrong?

An ordinary day with nothing better to do. No assignments to complete, no interactions with friends. Just simply a girl with her own thoughts.

Tyler Jones, a third-year forensic psychology student, enjoyed video games. If she could, she would huddle up in her bedroom and play video games for hours. They gave her a sense of euphoria, an escape of reality and sometimes the thought of being in these games gave her some sort of excitement.

The Resident Evil franchise had been intriguing for her. A part of her always felt like there were some unanswered questions to the games and animations. Sometimes she wanted to be Jill Valentine, the badass heroine she is. Other times, she just simply wanted to experience the zombie apocalypse.

It was the beginning of October - 5.00AM to be precise. The young woman was lay in bed, her hair spread out onto the pillows her head rested on whilst she staired up at the blank ceiling. She allowed her thoughts to drift off, her imagination running wild at the numerous scenarios running through her head. Distant ticking filled the void of silence with the room being dimly lit by the half-crescent moon that was out that night. Occasionally, a few drunken yells could be heard from the street bellow as teenagers staggered back to their dorm rooms or apartments with their friends.

Tyler had a few close friends. She was never a people person to begin with so making friends was slightly difficult. She was average: average grades, average looks, average height. There was really nothing special to her. Video games had always been a source of stress relief, along with cooking or baking, from the harsh reality of a shitty world. Whenever anyone asked her to join large groups or go somewhere with crowds, concerts are an exception, she would decline - she hated crowds. Most of the time she had her earphones in, with music quietly running through the speakers.

A noticeable thing about Tyler was her curiosity. Always wanting to delve into the realms of the unknown looking for the answers whether they were there or not. With that curiosity, also brought the adventure, something she craved dearly.

Which brings us onto one particular thought that remained at the fore front of her mind: what would it be like to survive a zombie apocalypse? With that thought, also brought the stream of thoughts on Resident Evil and in particular, Chris Redfield. Her fictional crush that somehow managed to weave his way into her life.

A monstrous boom rang through her ears, causing her to sit up quickly. The night was clear, that was evident, so what could possibly even cause such a bang? Stand up, she quickly made her way to the window, drawing back the curtain with her hand only to find a star filled sky with the illuminated half-moon.

Glancing around at her view, she attempted to locate the source of the noise but to no avail. Sighing deeply, she made her way back to the comfort of her bed. The student needed sleep. The lack of it would cause her to feel shit later on in the day. Closing her eyes, she allowed the darkness to consume her.

----------------------------------------------------------

The young brunette's sleep was disturbed by loud knocking on her door. Groaning, Tyler crawled out of the bed and quickly checked her pyjamas to make sure her shirt hadn't ridden up or was showing her chest. In a sleepy state, she trudged towards the front door. What the girl hadn't notice was that the apartment she was in didn't appear to be her dorm room. When the banging continued, the girl spoke up.

"Alright, alright! I'm coming, Sam! Jeez, give me a break." She muttered the last part under her breath as she unlocked the front door and flung it open. To her surprise, it wasn't Sam. It was Jill Valentine.