[ 1 ] mexico with the exes

MEXICO WITH THE EXES

      TRYING to stay friends with an ex was always hard, no matter how you spin it, it's never an easy thing to do

TRYING to stay friends with an ex was always hard, no matter how you spin it, it's never an easy thing to do. Especially when one of them was already trying to move on, right in front of the other's face. Aspen and Stiles' efforts in trying to stay friends was immediately sabotaged by the efforts of Malia Tate.

Aspen had changed over the last few weeks— well, months really. She was stronger now, more head strong. She didn't fight feelings that she felt to be wrong or selfish, she validated any single thing that she felt. And she was pissed.

But even still, when Derek Hale suddenly went missing, and the pack made their way to Mexico with a plan to get him back from whom they'd believed to have taken him—the Calaveras, Aspen and Stiles found themselves stuck together. With no one else around.

To call it awkward would be an understatement.

So far, Aspen had avoided him and spent most of her time with Lydia—who she'd surprisingly grown much closer to. With the absense of Allison, the two of them had a void that needed filling. Of course, nothing and no one would ever be able to replace what the Argent girl meant to Aspen—she needed a best-friend figure in her life, one that wasn't Scott. Scott was more like a brother.

But there was a part of the plan that was allocated to Aspen and Stiles only, and in efforts to be mature about it, they both accepted graciously.

And that takes us to the ex-couple, walking through the streets of Mexico, both biting their tongues and remaining in a lingering silence.

"So..." Aspen said first, her hands resting deep inside the pockets of her leather jacket.

"So..." Stiles repeated, feeling just as awkward as she did right now.

When breaking up, neither of them anticipated this awkwardness. It was like those few weeks in Sophomore year when Aspen went without speaking to Stiles, but they came out the other end of that better than ever. They weren't sure if they'd come out of this so easily.

Finally having enough of biting her tongue, and wanting to just come right out with it and speak her mind, Aspen stopped in her tracks to a stand still. Shortly after, Stiles did the same, turning around to look at her with furrowed brows, his confused eyes meeting her clearly angry ones.

"Why didn't you ask Scott if you could've just done this job with Malia?"

Stiles was taken aback by the question, but not too shocked. He could sense that his new fling with the Tate girl was affecting Aspen—and he felt horribly about it. It wasn't something he took pride in, and he didn't mean in any way to dangle it in front of Aspen's face.

But the heartbreak was just too much. Seeing her after the break-up literally felt like daggers being impaled into his heart at once. It was death by a thousand cuts. They may say it's a broken heart, but he felt pain in his entire being, mind, body and soul. Aspen was a part of him, and it felt like that had just been ripped away from him, leaving him empty.