[ 27 ] last words

LAST WORDS

            STILES rushed into the main classroom filled with infected students and clear pop-up tents as fast as his legs could get him there

STILES rushed into the main classroom filled with infected students and clear pop-up tents as fast as his legs could get him there. The first familiar face he saw was Natalie Martin, who caught a glimpse of him and watched him in his current state with concern. The hazel-eyed boy was in a state of panicking and fretting, yet the main thought that kept spiralling in his mind was that he had to get back to the others soon. Him and Aspen may not have a good track record with promises—but he wasn't going to let that be the possible last time he ever saw her.

The image of her pale skin and fatigued state was tattooed in his brain. She wasn't doing well—none of them were. They were only getting sicker.

"Stiles, you're not looking so good...." Lydia's mother said to the boy, "Maybe you ought to lie down..."

"It's okay." Stiles shook it off, having more important things to worry about, "Have you seen Mr. Yukimura?"

"Yeah, he's fine." said Natalie, "He's helping the other students..."

"Okay..." Stiles sighed briefly, then his eyes were drawn to Coach Finstock who was passed out on a pop-up medical bed.

Turning back to Natalie, he asked, "Is Coach the only adult who got sick today?"

"As far as I know..." Mrs Martin replied skeptically, not undersanding why stiles was so worked up about all of this.

"Why is he...?" Stiles muttered quietly under his breath to himself in question.

"Stiles? I think you should lie down..." Natalie tried to tell him, observing his frantic behaviour, and the bags under his eyes, the paleness of his skin. While it wasn't affecting him like it was the others—Stiles was still sick, falling infected to the virus.

"Yeah, no, it's okay."he then said, again brushing it off as he shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head at Lydia's mother, then he started making his way out already, "I'll be back. I'll be right back..."

And then he was gone, out the door—on his way to solve yet another mystery this town seemed to be infested with.

***

Stiles burst into Coach's office in a fret of urgency, crashing into the seat as he immediately began forcefully prying open the drawers and rummaging through every file and piece of junk inside them. He didn't know what he was looking for, but there had to be something that explained why Coach was the only infected adult in the entire school.

When he found nothing in the first draw, he pried open another, then another, and then another. There was nothing. He then made a mess of the desk, in search of something—anything.

Until he noticed a pile of permission slips, all stamped with red ink. He started to flick through with them, and noticed when the red ink started to fade, it suddenly switched to black ink. He then caught a glimpse of a mug on Coach's desk—that had black ink stains on it.