[ 33 ] bad dreams

BAD DREAMS

    "STILES— I'm doing this," Aspen said to the hazel-eyed boy, her and Scott having returned downstairs while Aspen had announced she'd be the one playing the bait in this plan instead of Scott. It was safe to say Scott was right—Stiles was not eager to let this happen.

"Can we just—" Stiles said in distress, running a hand through his hair, "Can we please just pause for a minute? Maybe talk about it first—"

"Stiles—"

"I still have to talk to you about the thing I texted you about—"

"And we will," Aspen said genuinely, instinctively clasping her hands over his shaky ones as she stared into his eyes with honesty. "We will talk—I swear it. Just after this is over..."

"And what happens if this goes wrong, huh?" he added, pursing his lips and then adding, "What happens if there is no after?"

"There will be," Aspen said with confidence, and then she let out a small chuckle, trying to lighten the mood as she added "Hell— I'm a half-fox-half-wolf hybrid, worth fifty million dollars— it's gonna take more than something like this to kill me, okay?"

Stiles froze still, letting out a breath of air as he stared into Aspen's emerald eyes which looked immediately gave him comfort, despite the circumstances. As he let out an exhale of breath, he came to realise that if he was prepared to let Scott do this—he had to be prepared for Aspen to do it as well. He just felt more protective over her, due to the fact he loved her in a very different way.

"Okay," he finally spoke, and watched as the corners of Aspen's lips curved into a small smile, "But you better promise me,"

"A promise? Really?" Aspen titled her head as she asked with a joking eyeroll, considering the fact their track record with promises were awful.

The only promise Aspen had ever made to Stiles which she never broke—is that she'll always love him.

"Yes—a promise," Stiles said back, "I don't care what our track record with them is— you have to promise me this one thing."

Aspen let out a breath, and replied "What?"

"Promise me you're making it out of this."

Aspen narrowed her eyes as her eyebrows furrowed, and then she replied back. "Stiles—I already said I'll be fine—"

"Just promise me, Asp." Stiles cut her off with seriosity, "Please..."

Aspen saw the vulnerability in his eyes and so she softened her features, and matched his expression. She delicately readjusted their hands which were clasped together, and then slowly nodded her head.

"I promise."

***

"Are you guys totally sure about this?" Liam asked as he paced back and forth in Aspen's room, while Kira and her mother stood either side of Aspen's bed on top of which she lay flat on her back, taking deep breaths.

"I think Liam's kind of nervous." Kira said to Aspen, "Maybe you should tell him it's going to be all right."

"I'm gonna be just fine, Dunbar." Aspen said all cool and relaxed-like, as if she wasn't secretly freaking out a little on the inside.

"So, you've done this before, right?" Liam then asked Kira's mother.

"I've seen it done..." Noshiko shrugged.