Chapter 2

I'll never stop dreaming that one day we can be a real family, together, all of us laughing and talking, loving and understanding, not looking at the past but only to the future.

LaToya Jackson

"Come on guys it's time for all of you to wake up!" I heard dad yell from downstairs. I opened my eyes but quickly closed them because of the amount of brightness that was reflecting into my eyes. I rubbed both of my eyes together in the process and then opened them back again. This time I could see properly and the brightness went down, I found myself staring at the white ceiling; it's just white, nothing else. I thought that white was supposed to be a nice, bright living colour, but it's so dull when you really look at it closely. There's no meaning behind the colour, nothing just plain old nothing. I get up in a sitting position and look around my room. Just like me and the white ceiling everything else is lifeless.

My wardrobe if you look closely at it, looks like it's about to fall over any second. It's just so ancient. Then , there's the crack on the other side of the wall and it just gets worse every day like it's trying to escape something and run away. The clock just ticked all day and was really annoying. I mean, there's a lot of things clocks can do...not just make one specific noise. Then there's obviously that one toy or doll that has the same expression on its face-which is a smile. Toys are lucky, they have no feelings or emotions so they don't know what it's like, to live an actual life.

"Are you happy about your life?" I find myself saying to Minnie Mouse but all she did was smile back. I rolled my eyes and took the bed covers off my body .I get up and put both of my feet on the floor while stretching my body. I yawn loudly and rub the back of my head. I went over and looked at my wall mirror. After the 'incident' that happened in my life, I cut my long honey coloured locks into a pixie cut and coloured my hair blonde.

My brown eyes looked dull just like the rest of my room as I've mentioned before. I never really liked my brown eyes, they are so common. I look down at my body and notice that I've lost a lot of weight as well ever since I stopped eating. Sighing to myself I walk to the bathroom door. I make contact with the cold round shaped handle and twist it all the way round. The bathroom door started opening really slowly. I looked down at my feet while walking in the bathroom. Turning around I shut the door behind me. Stripping out of my clothes I get in and switch on the water. I'm the only person in the entire house who has a bathroom in their room. Dad had it built in for me ages ago as I used to have really bad peeing problems when I was a kid.

The water comes drifting down onto me like a heavy waterfall. The warmness of the water made contact on every single touch of my body. I close my eyes enjoying the water. If only I could stay like this until I'm out of tears. If only. I stopped the shower and got out of the bath. There was a nearby towel, I grab it and wrap it around my body. Twisting the handle of the door I step back into my room while the droplets of water pitter-patter onto the carpet. I look at my wardrobe before opening it. I decide to take out a pair of blue boot cut jeans and a long sleeved white shirt. Once I took that out I wore on my bra and underwear. I wear on my clothes after that and dry my hair with the towel. There's nothing really too dry with my hair-especially it being so short. I throw the wet towel onto my bed and leave my bedroom.

To my left was my big brother Jackson's room and further down was my little sister's Jade's and then dad's. At the same time, both of Jackson's and Jade's doors swung open. I kept my contact with Jackson as he had a bored expression on his face. Jackson had the same hair colour as dad which is brown. He got mum's eyes which are green and he looks like a bodyguard to me. To pass his time I've noticed that he works out a lot by going to the gym and lifting weights. I guess that's the only thing he can do really. I then look over to Jade who looked really tired. Jade got mum's hair colour which is blonde and she's got blue-green eyes. This is a mixture of both mum and dad's. We all nodded at each other, which is what we all we really did if we were communicating. I broke my stare away from both of them and walked down the stairs. Creek, creek, creek went each step.

My nose sniffed from the familiar smell of burning toast coming from the kitchen- dad. He was never an expert at food. I walked in and saw him trying to get the burning toast out of the toaster. The whole kitchen was a mess! There were piles of dishes in the sink and the bin full of food and some on the floor. The wall across me had a slimy mixture on there, oh dad what did you do this time. I walk over to dad and touch his bare arm, he turns around and gives me a sad look.

"Honey I'm sorry" .He says to me. He looks down at the floor as if he's ashamed of himself. I was about to open my mouth when I heard a gasp from behind me

I turn around and see Jackson and Jade with both of their mouths hanged open and their eyeballs out as they took in the mess.

"What happened in here?"Jade said still clearly shocked. I don't blame her for acting shocked, the kitchen has never been a mess before. The only reason being is because, ever since mum went, me and Jade are the ones who cook and clean.

"I'm sorry" .I heard dad say from behind me. I looked at both of them giving them a look saying just-let-it-go.

"It's ok dad". Jackson said quietly while looking down. I turned around and put my hand on dad's shoulder in a comforting way. He looked at me and gave me a sad smile. I looked down on the floor myself while closing my eyes so I could try hard not to break down and cry.

"Ok. Jade you clean the dishes. Juliet you make breakfast. Me and dad will clean the rest of the place up". Jackson says loudly, there was really no need for him to shout it out because no one else was speaking.

"I'm sorry again you guys". Dad said looking at all of us with a regretful look on his face. I nod my head to show him we understand and Jade did the same, but Jackson just looked really angry. What's his problem? He should know that dad is trying his best to keep everything to go back to normal. I look over at the wall clock and noticed that we only had an hour to do all of this before school starts. I picked the kettle up and put the water in their till it was half full. We all start doing what Jackson had told us to do. "So today is non-school uniform day for you guys?" Dad said speaking and looking at me and Jade, we nodded our heads as a yes. I'm sixteen and this is the last year for me before I start college. Jade is fourteen and is in year ten-this is her second last year, while Jackson is in college and this is his last year till university. I guess you figured it out.

We are British and we live in Birmingham. Not a lot of people have heard about it but it doesn't really matter. Only me, dad and mum have an actual British accent. It's a bit weird because everyone else here in Birmingham have Brummie accent's. It must be because I was born in London and then moved here. Jade and Jackson where both born in American so they've both got American accents. Me and Jade managed to get everything done, I plated dad's food up.

"Here you go dad". He looked at me and gave me a side hug which I returned. He took the plate and cup of me and walked over to side down on the table. We all sit down as well when dad clears his throat.

"So what time you coming back from college?" Dad said looking at Jackson but Jackson doesn't look back at dad.

"Around one, I don't have any lessons after that" Dad nods his head and went back to eating. So this is how it's like every morning, we have an awkward conversation and then leave for school.

"Well then come on girls. I should drop you off to school" Dad said looking between me and Jade. We nodded our heads and got up.

"Jackson do you need a ride". Jackson shook his head and got up from his seat as well.

"Well then come on girls, you don't want to be late".