Chapter 4: Last Minute Substitute

Sanemi: "Sakonji??"

Urokodaki: "Oh, Hello Shinazugawa."

Sakonji Urokodaki is the retired Gym teacher, and now works as the Janitor and/or last minute substitute. He's sort of a strange man, he's always seen wearing this red mask, but personality-wise, he's a good guy. I don't know why he chooses to stay working here, but I think he likes it here. I know him pretty well because he was Giyuu's Gym mentor, and now Giyuu is a Gym teacher. I looked around at the class who were looking at me.

Sanemi: "Heh, sorry I'm late."

Some of the students started discussing between themselves. I'm sure they were all questioning why I was late. One of the girls spoke up.

Aoi: "Usually you'd assume a student to be late, not a teacher. What's your reason for absence, Mr. Shinazugawa?"

She spoke to me all formally, as if she were a teacher. Aoi is part of the Health Club like Yushiro. I thought for a moment, then smirked.

Sanemi: "Well, another teacher bet me 100 dollars I wouldn't punch a brick wall."

I put my right hand into my pocket, and pulled out two 50 dollar bills that I had put in there this morning for food. The students looked at me like I was insane. Then, I held up my bandaged left hand.

The entire class: "YOOOOOOOOOO-"

They cheered me on for taking the deal, even though it wasn't the actual truth. I just laughed. I looked at Sakonji. Even with his mask on, it felt like he was giving me a disappointed glare.

Sanemi: "What? This could pay for 2 whole days worth of food."

Urokodaki: "Wow."

I walked past him and sat at my desk. The class was still discussing my "victory."

Sanemi: "Anyways, I'm back now and we can resume the lesson. What have you guys gone over so far?"

Sakonji and the class told me what part they were on, and I continued the lesson. Sakonji had left to continue cleaning the rest of the Math Department. Like my first and second hour, I finished the lesson, assigned the homework and let them finish. As soon as work time started, the students started walking over to me, starting with Aoi.

Aoi: "Is your hand alright?"

Sanemi: "It hurts, but Miss Tamayo gave me Ibuprofen, so I'm fine right now."

Aoi: "Alright, because I have some more Ibuprofen just in case you need some."

Sanemi: "Alright, but seriously, I'm okay right now."

She went back to her desk. Some of the other students came up to me and asked if my hand was okay, or if they could take a picture of my hand to show how awesome I was compared to other teachers. They also asked which teacher dared me to do it, and of course, there's a teacher I know who would probably actually dare me to do that, so I just told them.

Sanemi: "Mr. Uzui dared me to do it, that bastard."

Gyutaro: "Of fucking course it was Uzui."

I laughed. By the end of the hour, the entire class came to look at my hand, except for our designated Quiet Kid, Muichiro Tokito. He's the President of the Book Club that Gyomei runs. The rest of hour three went pretty normal, then finally the 4th hour bell rang.

Sanemi: "For those who didn't finish in class, make sure you only do questions 1-7 and 13-22, alright?"

I sat back down in my chair as the 3rd hour students left. Of course, there were a few students who got here pretty early. Usually, the first person who gets here is a boy named Tanjiro Kamado, a Second Year. My classes are usually filled with both 1st and 2nd years, depending on what they took in middle school.