Helping

This chapter is in honor of Bi Visibility Day!

If you are bisexual, then Happy Bi Visibility Day! 

You are enough... just the way you are. <3

_______________________________________

Casey flicked her pen anxiously as she pored over her AP History textbook. Seated at the kitchen table, the sound of Elsa prepping dinner, moving back and forth from the stove to the sink to the counter, created a comforting and familiar backdrop to her attempts to focus. Izzie was on her way over for dinner. She'd texted to ask if it was ok to bring Dylan since she'd be on her way from having picked him up at his after school program.

Casey glanced over at her acceptance letter from UCLA, secured lovingly (by Elsa) to the kitchen fridge with a magnet. She'd gotten almost a full ride to go there. Way more than anyone had expected. She'd seen the relieved look on her parents' faces when they realized they wouldn't have to get loans for her to go. They could easily cover her travel, housing and remaining tuition expenses with the money they'd been saving for her since she was a baby. But Izzie hadn't gotten her letter yet.

Casey chewed her thumbnail nervously. Having to settle for a long distance relationship with Izzie would be terrible, and not having her there to help Casey figure out a new school in a new place would be even worse. But nothing compared to how awful it would be to see Izzie's dream evaporate. The whole UCLA thing had been her idea in the first place. To witness her disappointment would be heartbreaking for Casey. Izzie had to get in.

It wasn't just her concern over Izzie that was giving Casey anxiety. Going to UCLA was going to mean a dramatic increase in the amount of pressure and expectation she would be carrying. It would be like Clayton Prep on steroids. She shuddered just thinking about the anxiety she had experienced toward the end of her tenure there. The sleepless nights, the raw cuticles, the panic attack that prevented her from running when the UCLA scout came to watch her. Even the stress it had put on her relationship with Izzie. How would she prevent all that from happening again? Sure, she was older now. And more confident in her abilities. But it was gonna be challenging. There was no doubt about that. She just hoped she was up for the challenge.

The door opened and Elsa looked up.

"Hi guys! How was school?" She asked cheerfully.

"Good," Dylan said simply, in the noncommittal but upbeat tone of a child.

"Hi!" Izzie said, "Good!" and Casey heard the edge of anxiety in her voice.

Casey hopped up and ran to meet them, tousling Dylan's dark brown hair. He smiled, bumped fists with her, kicked off his shoes and began shrugging out of his coat. Casey wrapped Izzie in a huge hug, happily noting that she was still wearing her Clayton uniform, which, now that she didn't have to wear one herself, Casey thought looked adorable on her. It also meant Casey would be able to stare at her legs all night and maybe even slide her hand up Izzie's thigh when no one was looking. But Izzie's posture was a little stiff and she seemed distracted. She'd had to skip track, last minute, to go pick up Dylan so maybe it was something to do with that.

"You ok?" Casey said quietly, catching her gaze as Dylan went to play video games on the couch.

"Yeah, I think so," she said breathlessly, eyes a little wider than usual.

"I got it. I got the letter."

"You did?! What did it say?"

Casey grabbed her by the arms.

"I got in," she said with a small, stunned smile, as if hardly believing it.

"YESsss!" Casey shouted, smiling widely and jumping up and down.